Tritons Closeout Regular Season Strong With Playoffs Just Around the Corner

Photo by Francesca Hummler
Photo by Francesca Hummler

UC San Diego at Cal State East Bay — Hayward, CA

The UC San Diego women’s soccer nine-game California Collegiate Athletic Association win streak finally concluded on the road Thursday night after a Cal State East Bay tie, 1–1. Due to the draw, the No. 7 Tritons came up just shy of back-to-back perfect conference seasons, attempting to match last year’s 12–0 flawless record.

Nonetheless, the Tritons picked up their second consecutive CCAA regular-season championship with a stellar 10–0–1 in league and 12–2–2 overall.

The score was quiet through the entirety of period one. UCSD led in shots on goal 6–4 and corner kicks 2–0, yet still struggled to sneak one past the Pioneer goalie in the first 45 minutes.

The first goal of the game came early in the second half by Triton senior forward, Katie O’Laughlin. Two freshmen midfielders, Natalie Widmer and Caitlin McCarthy both received assists on the play as Widmer initiated and McCarthy dummied to set the ball perfectly for upperclassman O’Laughlin. Striking the back of the net just above the goalie’s reach, O’Laughlin tallied her sixth goal of the season.

The Pioneers were quick to answer in return, bringing the game even at one at the 55:39 marker. Abby Buitrago, CSUEB freshman midfielder, capitalized on a long shot from the left side.

At the end of regulation and a combined 15 shots later, the match was sent into two 10-minute overtime periods. However, neither team was able to close out the battle on the pitch.

Triton redshirt sophomore, Angelica Ramos, collected another five saves to add to her 51 total.

UC San Diego at Cal State Monterey Bay — Seaside, CA

Upon traveling slightly south from East Bay to Monterey, UCSD wrapped up the 2017 season undefeated in the CCAA this Saturday. The Tritons have not only locked up the number one seed for the upcoming CCAA Tournament, but a home crowd hosting position as well.

Another 1–0 win makes it the ninth time UCSD has walked off the field with only a single goal advantage.

The point evolved late in the second period when redshirt sophomore midfielder, Natalie Saddic executed on a careless Cal State Monterey Bay penalty in the box. With a hushed crowd in the background and her teammates solely relying on her in the moment, Saddic nailed the upper left corner of the goal; it was her second of the season.

Regardless of the flat first half and a majority of the second, the Tritons continued the pressure, commanding in shots 18–8, an even split of nine in each 45-minute period. A sporadic nine players from UCSD contributed to the constant attack, including three mighty shots apiece from O’Laughlin, Saddic, and Widmer.

Triton goalkeeper Ramos filed another three saves on the shutout. With the help from a solid defense, Ramos has allowed only three goals in the last 12 competitions.

UCSD successfully wrapped up the 2017 grind 10–0–1 in conference. They patiently await the winner of Tuesday’s game amidst Chico State (No. 4) and Cal State San Marcos (No. 5). The Tritons defeated the Wildcats 3-0 back in September and the Cougars 1–0 in early October.

The semifinal of the CCAA Tournament will take place Friday, Nov. 3 at Triton Soccer Stadium at 7 p.m.