Crushing OT Loss at No. 8 LBSU Motivates No. 13 Tritons to Protect Perfection in WWPA Play Against Air Force

Photo by Francesca Hummler
    Photo by Francesca Hummler

UC San Diego @ Long Beach State — Long Beach, CA

The No. 13 UC San Diego Tritons dropped a heartbreaker on the road Wednesday night to out-of-conference opponent, No. 8 Long Beach State University. On an 80-degree autumn night with clear skies at Lindgren Aquatics Center, the 49ers sent the Tritons home in a devastating fashion.

The score was tied at nine at the end of regulation, forcing two three-minute overtime periods in which both teams executed under pressure pushing the score even at 10. With 2:25 remaining in the second sudden death extended period, LBSU finally capitalized on its first of 10 power play opportunities to end the intense, back-and-forth competition.

Although pulling ahead 4–2 in the first quarter, UCSD was never able to hold a comfortable lead.

Freshman utility Connor Turnbow-Lindenstadt carried the Tritons with four goals on the night, three of those coming in the second half. Arman Momdzhyan, senior hole set, contributed two goals and sophomore attackers Cooper Milton and Jack Ranj each added one of their own.

Alessandro Valania, junior utility, tallied the only two steals for the Tritons on top of his clutch buzzer-beater goal with one second to go of the second overtime period. Junior goalkeeper Sam Thompson collected 12 saves on the night.

However, outshot by LBSU 34–46, a 22-percent execution rate on six-on-five chances and only two successful sprint recoveries of the eight periods resulted in an unfortunate UCSD loss.

The Tritons fell to a 7–11 overall record.

UC San Diego vs. Air Force — La Jolla, CA

After a tough loss at Long Beach earlier in the week, the Tritons were excited to return to their home pool Friday night, with hopes of remaining undefeated in Western Water Polo Association play. UCSD overpowered Air Force 16–6 as 10 different Tritons scored to secure their perfect 5–0 conference record.