Triton Softball Splits Weekend Series Against No. 1 Humboldt State

Photo Courtesy of UCSD Athletics
Photo Courtesy of UCSD Athletics

The UC San Diego softball team participated in the Tournament of Champions last week and finished with a 4–2 tournament record. The team played two games Sunday, one against Concordia University (8–4) and Simon Fraser University (5–4). UCSD results at the tournament pushed its overall record to 19–17.

Riding the success of its tournament results, UCSD went on to face top-ranked Humboldt State University in a four-game series the following Friday and Saturday. On Friday, the Tritons took the first game (4–2) and lost the second (2–3). The next day, they fell to the Lumberjacks 4–6 in the first game and managed to squeeze out a victory in the second game (3–2).

UCSD improved to a 21–19 record and 12–16 California Collegiate Athletic Association record.

The second game against Humboldt State was a nail-biter. Humboldt State scored a runs in the first and second innings, and UCSD managed to find a run in the second inning, bringing the game to 2–1. Neither team managed to score a run until the fifth inning, when juniors left-fielder Kendall Baker and catcher Lauren Sanders scored runs to bring the game to 3–2.

Humboldt State had a chance to win the game in the seventh inning, when it had all three bases loaded. However, the Tritons were able to close out the game to split the series 2–2.

UCSD faces off in a series against Chico State on Friday, April 15 and Saturday, April 16. The first game for Friday starts at 1 p.m., and the first for Saturday starts at 11 a.m.