Swim and Dive Earns Top Marks Over Winter Break

Photo Courtesy of UCSD Athletics
Photo Courtesy of UCSD Athletics

The UCSD men’s and women’s swim teams competed on four occasions during winter break and got stellar results at each occasion. 

The women’s team opened up the festivities when it took down No. 18 Cal State East Bay, 148–109. Junior swimmer Julia Toronczak won two events for the Tritons, dominating both the 100 and 200-yard backstroke. Highlights of the event were in three events in which the Tritons placed 1–2–3. UCSD was first in the 800, the 400 and the 100 fly in the event.

In the second event of winter break, the Tritons competed against solid Division-I programs. The men placed first, dominating the field consisting of Air Force and Incarnate Word. The women had a more tedious competition, finishing fourth in a field of six.

For UCSD’s only 1–2–3 finish of the meet, junior Kevin Wylder finished first in the 100 butterfly, ahead of teammates sophomore Garrett Tse (50.09) and senior Gabriel Hernandez (50.54). Senior Michael Cohn won the 100 backstroke and freshman Edgar Chin took the 100 breaststroke for the Tritons. The women only won one event, when junior Angie Phetbenjakul took the 100 breast with an NCAA B qualifier of 1:04.66.

In the third meet of the break, UCSD finished fourth in the invitational-style meet behind Division-I opponents Rice University, San Diego State and San Jose State.

The Tritons’ women’s swimming and diving took first place in the 200-yard backstroke via junior Julia Toronczak, who finished a second ahead of second place Kaitlyn Swinney of Rice. UCSD finished the meet with five more NCAA consideration qualifiers.

In the final meet of the break, both UCSD men’s and women’s teams competed and won. The men, ranked fifth in Division II, got the victory over Cal State Bakersfield, 198–93. The women, No. 6 in the country, won both meets against Division I opponents Cal State Bakersfield 165–134 and Loyola Marymount University 234–57. 

These meets concluded UCSD’s successful winter as the teams look to keep their hot streak going into the new year with eyes set on Nationals.