Women’s Volleyball Drops Match Against Humboldt State

Photo from UCSD Athletics
Photo from UCSD Athletics

Riding in off its first five-set win of the season, the UCSD women’s volleyball team was hoping to build on that momentum and increase its win streak to three. Unfortunately, Humboldt State proved to be too much in the back-and-forth affair on Friday night, handing the Tritons a loss in the form of a 2–3 nailbiter.

The Tritons started the night rolling, scoring immediately off of a kill by senior middle blocker Meagan Wright, which would spark a 40 start to the set. From then on, the set truly became a back-and-forth affair, with the Lumberjacks closing in any time the Tritons took any semblance of a lead. At brief moments the Tritons would lose the lead (at the 1314 and 2021 marks), but after an attack error by Humboldt State junior outside hitter Alex Lolland, the Tritons would take the lead for good, culminating in a 2522 victory.

That, unfortunately, was as dominant as the Tritons were going to look that night. With the start of the second set, the roles had been reversed, as the Lumberjacks took the lead immediately and held onto it for the remainder of the set, only allowing the Tritons to tie as late as the 77 mark. Despite a late three-point run culminating in a Triton junior outside hitter Amanda Colla service ace, putting the Tritons within two, the Lumberjacks would take the set and tie the game with a 2520 victory.

With the third set opening on a three-point Lumberjack run, the Tritons looked like they had lost all momentum from their set-one victory. But the Tritons would remain close, tying up the game at multiple points before scoring six consecutive points late in the set to tie the game at 2020. Despite losing the lead and going down by two, the Tritons got rolling again with a well-placed timeout to take back the lead with a 2523 victory.

In the opening half of the fourth set, it was yet another close affair, with each team remaining within three points of one another. Just as the Tritons looked like they were about to pull ahead with a 129 advantage, however, something clicked for the Lumberjacks, as they went on an 80 run to take the lead for good. The Lumberjacks wound up tying up the match once again with a 2517 set victory.

“We were up 129. Really, it was just us making mistakes and doing bad things.” UCSD head coach Ricci Luyties told the Athletics Department. “When you have those kind of runs where you’re just giving away the game, it’s hard to come back.”

In the final set of the night, the Tritons never led. Trailing for a majority of the set, when the Tritons were able to tie it up late at 1313 and had a chance to pull ahead and win, they simply could not hold on. The Tritons fell for the final time 1315, resulting in a 23 loss.

Even with Wright’s 21 points and Colla’s 15 digs, UCSD could not get by Humboldt State’s 1810 block advantage and 0.169 (6231183) attack percentage. Still, the Tritons totaled 58 kills on their total 73 points, and sophomore libero Kayla Evans pulled off a team-high 40 assists on the night.

With the loss, the Tritons fell to 119 overall and 84 in California Collegiate Athletic Association play. Humboldt State improved to 109 overall and 56 in CCAA play. Next up, UCSD hits the road to face off against Cal Poly Pomona on Friday, Oct. 28 at 7 p.m.