Coffee Break: Subterranean Coffee & Boutique

Subterranean Coffee & Boutique
Photo By Yulin Liu /Guardian
Subterranean Coffee & Boutique Photo By Yulin Liu /Guardian
Subterranean Coffee & Boutique
Photo By Yulin Liu /Guardian

LOCATION:
3764 30th St.
San Diego, CA 92104
HOURS:
Mon. to Wed.: 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Thurs. to Fri.: 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Sat..: 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Sun.: 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
PRICE: $

Soaked in the diverse culture of North Park, which was named by Forbes magazine as “one of America’s best hipster neighborhoods,” Subterranean Coffee & Boutique will surprise you with its many edible offerings and boutique goods. The crimson red walls, stained glass pendant lights and jubilant hipster music set the tone for this intriguing coffee destination. With a quiet ambience and free access to Wi-Fi, the tables are filled with customers plugged into their laptops. Despite the more laid-back and studious atmosphere, don’t be surprised to find a small group of friends having a chat at a neighboring table. But don’t worry — customers are respectful to their surrounding neighbors.

Subterranean Coffee Boutique specializes in steamed scrambled egg dishes that includes no oils or milk. All breakfast sandwiches are stuffed with a hearty portion of eggs and are served before 3 p.m. Le Breakfast Sandwiche ($5) has scrambled eggs with tomato slices, mozzarella cheese and bacon on your choice of a bagel or an English muffin. For an extra $0.75, you can replace the standard bagel or English muffin with a flaky and warm croissant. Subterranean’s Breakfast Taco ($5) and Breakfast Burrito ($6.50) are also served with eggs in them. However, if you do not fancy these egg dishes, other sandwiches will meet your expectations with tuna, BBQ chicken, pepperoni or turkey.

For drinks, don’t hesitate to try something innovative here. Some interesting choices include Bea’s Drink ($3.50), which is espresso, steamed milk with honey; and Reese’s Mocha, which is a mocha with peanut butter. In addition to the long list of tea options ($2.50 each) including green, black, herbal and white teas, you will also find traditional Chinese teas such as Pu-erh and Oolong. The tea drinks are sugar-free by default; for those of you with a sweet tooth, ask for it sweetened. Among various smoothie choices, the Greek Yogurt Smoothie ($5) is highly recommended. Its sweetness is just right with the help of honey, and the fresh strawberries, bananas and orange juice add lightness to the Vanilla Chobani Yogurt.

While enjoying the food and drinks, feel free to browse the cafe’s selection of old books, accessories displayed in cupboards and small paintings decorating the walls. The cafe’s cool and diverse vibe offers a novel adventure that is sure to inspire the hipster in you.

Rating 4.5/5