Women’s Volleyball Drops Match Against CCAA Rival Cal State LA

Photo by UCSD Athletics
Photo by UCSD Athletics

Cal State Los Angeles (11–6, 7–2) defeated the UCSD volleyball team (9–7, 6–2) in three straight sets (25–22, 26–24 and 25–23) on Tuesday night. The two California Collegiate Athletic Association division leaders played their match at University Gym. Entering the match, the Tritons were leaders of the South Division, but the Golden Eagles’ victory launched the team into the top spot.

For UCSD, senior outside hitter Meagan Wright led with 12 points, all on kills to go along with seven digs. Other notable Tritons were sophomore libero Kayla Evans with a team-high 12 digs and freshman opposite Simone Froley with five blocks.

Offense was at a season low in this match as UCSD hit a mere .148 and Cal State LA hit .162. The Tritons had more blocks than the Golden Eagles, 9.55, but Cal State LA dominated in digs 6045.

After scoring five points before UCSD opened its counter, the Golden Eagles never gave their lead up in the opening set. The Tritons did their best to hold off a loss but junior middle blocker Erie Williams ended the game with a kill.

The middle frame was the most exciting with three lead changes and 10 tied scores. UCSD played well early in the set, grabbing an 117 lead. However, Cal State LA would answer with seven of the next eight points to take a 1412 lead. Wright would then catch fire to drill five kills in a 61 run by UCSD. At 2321, the Tritons fought back once again to tie the match. Both teams would battle back and forth until the Golden Eagles won the set with a kill and ace back-to-back.

Set three would be nothing like the second one as Cal State LA would dominate from the beginning. The team stormed out to an 81 advantage and at one point won eight of 11 points to lead 1811. The Tritons had one last gasp as they saved six match points to make it a one-score game, but it proved to be fruitless as junior setter Kelsey Molnar ended the match with a kill. It is the first time UCSD has been swept all season.

The leading players for Cal State LA were senior right side hitter Taylor Kushner with 12 kills and senior outside hitter Lauren Gomez who recorded a match-high 17 digs.

The Tritons finish their week off with two matches, against No. 19 Cal State Bernardino on Oct. 14 and then against Cal Poly Pomona on Oct. 15.