Tritons Finish Eleventh

Photo courtesy of UCSD Athletics
    Photo courtesy of UCSD Athletics

The Tritons’ men’s golf team had a mediocre finish at the 43rd Hanny Stanislaus Invitational where UCSD placed 11th out of 16 teams Tuesday at the Turlock Golf and Country Club.

Photo courtesy of UCSD Athletics
    Photo courtesy of UCSD Athletics

UCSD ended the tournament with an 888 and (+24) over par, shooting a 297 in the third and final round on Tuesday, after shooting 295 and 296 on Monday.

Seniors Clayton Yamaguchi and Daniel Yang finished tied for 22nd out of 88 golfers with Yamaguchi golfing 76–71–72 over three rounds, while Yang finished 71–76–72. Each scored 219 and 3–over par on the par–72 course.

Other contributors to the Tritons were senior Jeff Roseth (T–30th, 221), freshman Jake Haselden (T–72nd, 232) and freshman Drew Robbins (T–79, 236), for whom the tournament was a collegiate debut.

Chico State won its third-straight event by totaling a 14-under 850, solidifying its ranking as the number one team in the country. No. 24 Sonoma State (857) had a strong finish at second, seven strokes behind the Wildcats, while tournament-host Stanislaus State (861) came in third.

The individual leader was Sonoma State junior Justin Shluker, who shot a 65–71–71 and leading beginning to end up 9-under with a 207. Both with a 6-under 210, Chico State seniors Alistair Docherty and Lee Gearhart tied for second.
    UCSD plays next at the California Collegiate Athletic Association Championship, April 18–20 at Silverado, in Napa.