Tennis Handily Beats Holy Names

Photo by Jonathan Gao
    Photo by Jonathan Gao
    Photo by Jonathan Gao
    Photo by Jonathan Gao

On Saturday at the Merritt College tennis courts in Oakland, the No. 17 UCSD men’s tennis team handily dispatched No. 32 Holy Names 7–2.

UCSD improved its record to 116 on the season.

The Tritons had a 21 lead after the doubles matches and would go on to win five of the six singles matches.

In No. 1 singles, sophomore Eric Tseng captured his third straight win, defeating freshman Hugo Colpart 46, 60 and 76. It was Tseng’s fourth match in the No. 1 spot. With an impressive win streak of his own, sophomore Justin Zhang earned his seventh straight victory at the No. 2 spot, beating senior Andrew Armor 63 and 61.

At No. 3, junior Alexandre Miaule defeated junior Matthew Halligan 67, 63 and 64 in three sets. No. 4 freshman Rodrigo Amaral and No. 6 freshman Richard Han earned decisive straight-set victories.  

In doubles, Miaule and senior Horea Porutiu raised their season record to 123 by taking care of senior Adam Duong and junior Ivan Parra 86 at No. 2. Amaral and Zhang teamed up at No. 3 to down Armor and freshman Bernardo Moraes 86 as well.

Holy Names University won the No.1 doubles match as Colpart and Halligan defeated Tseng and senior Axel Bouillin at 810.

The Tritons will look to earn their third straight victory when they face off against Concordia in Irvine on March 30. UCSD won the last matchup 81 in La Jolla on Jan. 30.