Rowing Closes out Fall Season at Mission Bay

Photo by UCSD Athletics
    Photo by UCSD Athletics

Men’s and women’s crew competes against top Division-I boats at San Diego Fall Classic.

Photo by UCSD Athletics
    Photo by UCSD Athletics

The UCSD men’s and women’s rowing programs rounded out their short fall season at the San Diego Fall Classic at Mission Bay this past weekend.

The men’s open 8+ came away with fourth place with a time of 15:05 in a tight race against tough Division-I rivals. University of San Diego won the race with a time of 14:54, followed by UC Santa Barbara in 15:04 and Santa Clara University in 15:05.
    “We performed really well,” UCSD men’s rowing Head Coach Zach Johnson told the UCSD Athletics Department. “USD is always fast this time of year, and Santa Clara and UCSB are teams we fully expect to be contenders in the spring. It was a fantastic result.”

The Triton women’s “A” and “B” boats posted seventh- and ninth-place finishes, respectively, in the women’s open 8+ race. The “A” crew posted a time of 17:27, while the “B” crew posted 17:53. USD dominated the race once again, with its “A” crew crossing the line in 16:01. The Toreros’ “B” and “C” contingents snagged third- and fourth-place finishes, respectively, to round out a strong day of racing.

In the women’s open 4+ race, UCSD’s “A” crew took seventh in 20:35. The “C” boat followed close behind in eighth, posting a time of 20:37. The “B” crew initially finished in the eighth position with a time of 20:36, but after a collision penalty was assessed, dropped to 12th place with a final time of 21:36. USD once again established its dominance over the field, taking the top five spots with times of 17:52, 18:38, 18:41, 18:53 and 19:17.

“We showed some depth and strength in both races,” women’s rowing Head Coach Colin Truex said. “It was a good way to end our very short fall season. We have a lot to feel good about and a lot to work on, too.”

The rowing programs will hit the water again in the spring to begin their official season — the Tritons’ official schedule can be viewed at ucsdtritons.com.