Club Sports at it again

Dragon Boat

After 10 weeks of training, the two UCSD dragon boat teams left for the 2015 Arizona Dragon Boat Festival. The boats competed in eight races over the span of two days. Both boats had a strong weekend, qualifying for the final college race and placing 4th and 5th. The UCSD White boat placed 6th in the Mixed Division A and placed 2nd in their heat for 250-meter sprints Division A.

Rugby

The UCSD women’s rugby team was the first seed in its league and made the playoffs this year. They traveled to the Bay Area for the playoffs the second weekend of spring break. On Saturday, March 28, UCSD suffered a tough 15–38 loss to UC Davis. On the second day of the playoffs, UCSD faced off against Chico State. Despite an early score by Chico State, UCSD responded and eventually walked away with a 24–14 win. The team now looks to be selected for Nationals in New Mexico after its strong season.

Ultimate Frisbee

The UCSD Psychos ended Winter Quarter 2015 with a tournament just outside of Austin, Texas. The Psychos first played University of Maryland’s Helpful Corn on Saturday, March 21. The game was played in bad weather, but UCSD got the win. In their next game, the Psychos lost to Purdue University by one point. In the last game of Saturday, UCSD lost a close one to University of Wisconsin – Madison. On Sunday, March 22, the Psychos lost the first game to Fryz Ultimate. UCSD finished the weekend strong when it took the last game of Sunday against University of Iowa.

Sailing

The UCSD Sailing team attended the Western Canada Cup hosted by the University of Victoria at the beginning of spring break. Starting on Saturday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m., UCSD faced off against Victoria, University of British Columbia, UC Santa Cruz and University of Oregon. Tritons 1 ended the first day in third place. On Sunday morning, March 22, Tritons 1 took third place again, as Oregon took first and Victoria’s Vikes 1 took second.