Club Sports on the Rise

W. Rugby

The UCSD women’s rugby team faced a tough doubleheader in Arizona this past weekend. Despite the bad quality of the field, the team came out hard and won 19–5 against Arizona State University. In the second game of the weekend, University of Arizona came out and stunned UCSD with three quick tries. However, UCSD fought back and ended up winning by a comfortable 39–21 margin, scoring seven tries. The team remains undefeated over the season and is looking to extend its winning streak with the next set of league games.

W. Water Polo

The women’s club water polo team had its first tournament of the season last weekend at San Diego State University. The team started off well with an 18–14 win against Cal State San Bernardino in overtime. The second game of the tournament was close as well, but ended in a 10–9 loss to Arizona State University. On the second day of the tournament, UCSD lost back-to-back games to UC Irvine and SDSU. The Tritons held a lead until the fourth quarter, when the Anteaters equalized to take the game into overtime. UCSD could not get the win in overtime, losing 9–6. The Tritons also fell in the last game of the tournament to SDSU by a 10–6 final score. The Tritons now look toward the next tournament at Arizona State this week.

Roller Hockey

The UCSD Roller Hockey Club finished out the regular season over the weekend with three wins and the number one seed in the division, its best regular season finish since 2009. In the first game of the day, the Tritons faced off against the Division-III Claremont Centaurs and took a dominant 11–1 victory.

In the second game of the day, the Tritons battled the defending National Collegiate Roller Hockey Association Division-II Champion Cal State Fullerton. UCSD took the lead early, but Fullerton mustered a late comeback and tied the game up at four with one minute remaining. However, UCSD’s senior Kevin Zhang quickly scored in the final moments to give the Tritons a 5–4 lead and the win. In the last game of the day, UCSD took on UC Santa Cruz. The Tritons were able to battle against the strong opponent and win 3–2, finishing their season with a near-perfect 15–1 record. They look to continue their success in the Western Collegiate Roller Hockey League Regional Tournament on Feb. 28 in Corona, California.

Men’s Volleyball

UCSD Men’s Club Volleyball traveled to UC Davis for the annual Far Westerns Tournament. UCSD easily took down UC Davis, University of Washington and University of Nevada, Reno as the second seed in its pool. The Tritons fell in two sets in the last game of the pool. On the second day, the Tritons had to finish in the top two to advance to the Gold bracket. UCSD first fell to Stanford in the tie-breaking set. In the second game against top-seed Air Force, UCSD fell behind early in the first set and failed to generate enough offense to get much going, with Air Force eventually winning in two sets. The Tritons entered the Silver bracket and, with a few lineup changes, fell to Cal State Sacramento in the first round.

Badminton 

UCSD went up to UCLA to participate in a league match against UC Davis and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo this past weekend. The team beat Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, winning 10 out of 14 matches, but lost to UC Davis, winning only four out of 15 matches. Sophomore Tim Tam played a very competitive match in the singles number two spot against UC Davis’ Maxwell Kam, but couldn’t grab the win. Among the weekend winners, Ada Nguyen in the women’s singles beat Cindy Cheng from UC Davis and sophomores Chetan Potu and Martin Hung defeated San Luis Obispo in the men’s doubles one.