Tritons Sweep Stanislaus

Tritons Sweep Stanislaus

UCSD wins all four games of their series against Cal State Stanislaus, while allowing only 3 runs in total.

12531254174_46dc852b49_o

The No. 19 nationally ranked UCSD women’s softball team swept conference foe Cal State Stanislaus in a four-game series this past Friday and Saturday at the Triton Softball Field. The Tritons dominated the Warriors, managing to not only win all their games, but also allowing only one run or none in each of the four matchups.

“We went up against Stanislaus, who is always a tough team to beat,” senior first baseman Caitlin Brown said. “We told ourselves to be aggressive this game and to score early and often.”

On Friday, senior shortstop Mya Romero racked up four runs batted in game one, while Brown managed to do the same in game two. The opener finished in five innings with the Tritons winning 10–1, and the second game ended after six innings with the Tritons victorious 8–0.

On Saturday, the Tritons continued their control of the series, winning game three with a score of 9–1. In game four, senior right-handed pitcher Jennifer Manuel tossed a gem inside the circle to help UCSD complete the sweep with a 5–1 victory.

The Tritons won the day on Friday, recording 20 total hits as a team. Four hits came from sophomore outfielder Callie Grant, while sophomore utility player Amani Proctor, senior third-base Emily McQuaid and Brown all contributed three hits apiece.

The Tritons also had an exceptional performance from the pitching staff, led by starting pitchers sophomore Alexis Edwards and Manuel. Altogether, UCSD finished both contests with only six hits allowed in 11 total innings.

The Tritons followed their amazing performance on Friday with more stellar play in the second half of the series on Saturday. Grant led the day again with six hits, five runs and a stolen base. Sophomore catcher Katie Saunders contributed four hits and two runs batted in, and Brown produced three RBIs.

The pitching staff recorded another phenomenal performance — behind Edwards and Manuel again — as they only allowed two earned runs. Proctor also managed to steal her 12th base of the year, keeping her perfect record of 12–12 in stolen bases attempts.

After winning this four-game series, the Tritons improve to scores of 22–6 overall and 17–3 in the California Collegiate Athletic Association. Following this empowering win at home, UCSD will now participate at the Tournament of Champions in Turlock on April 4 to 6.

“Overall our team is feeling good about this past weekend and is looking forward to carrying that momentum into this coming weekend at the Tournament of Champions in Turlock,” Brown told the UCSD Guardian.

UCSD will play against Chaminade, Dominican and California Baptist on Friday and will move on to face Hawaii Pacific and Notre Dame de Namur on Saturday. The results of these contests will determine the schedule for Sunday.