Tritons Win 10th Straight IFCSC Meet

The men’s and women’s fencing teams dominated in epee, sabre and foil categories.

The UCSD men’s and women’s fencing teams had another incredible performance this past Saturday, dominating at UC Irvine’s Intercollegiate Fencing Conference of Southern California. Both squads came out on top at the IFCSC, winning the league championship crown for the 10th consecutive year.

UCSD competed in the IFCSC championship alongside teams from Arizona State University, Caltech, Pasadena City College, UC Irvine, UCLA, UC Santa Barbara and USC. The Tritons handily won all three weapons categories, completing the sweep for the second straight season.

The UCSD men finished first in the overall season standings, with UCSB and ASU following in second and third, respectively. On Saturday, the men’s team defeated the five squads it faced, winning against UCSB (243), Arizona State (270), USC (252), UCLA (243) and PCC (261). Their foil concluded with a total of 441. Epee finished 396, while sabre completed a 42–3 record.

The UCSD women earned the first spot in overall season standings as well, as they were trailed by UCSB and Caltech. The women’s team finished off Saturday with nearly uncontested victories against USC (252), UCLA (261), UCSB (243), PCC (27–0) and Arizona State (270). The Triton foilists — sophomores Nicole Chiang and Alina Marshall and junior Rosalyn Lim — had a perfect record of 450, with the epee going for 432 and the sabre finishing with 414.

When asked about his team’s performance, sophomore foilist Eduard Zilinskiy acknowledged his team’s phenomenal play.

“We all did really well,” Zilinksiy said. “It’s always good to win another league championship.”

The Tritons next have their eyes on the upcoming NCAA West Regional, which will be held on March 8 in Pasadena. UCSD will look to defeat reigning champion Stanford, who swept in all three categories for both the men and women.