Fencing Wins North/South Duals 27-0

UCSD fencing downs Southern California teams UCLA, UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara and USC

The UCSD fencing team came out on top at the North/South Duals hosted by UC Irvine this past Sunday with both the men’s and women’s teams going undefeated with winning scores of 27–0.

“I think our team did great; everybody fenced their hardest and we all maintained the right amount of confidence to get us through the day,” sophomore saber Megan Gesner said. “I’m really satisfied with the team’s dynamics this year.”

The Tritons defeated teams from UCLA, UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara and USC over the weekend. The only team that came close to the Tritons was the Bruins, finishing the meet with a 26–1 score for both their men’s and women’s sides.

The men’s foil squad — made up of sophomore Eduard Zilinskiy, junior Keric Moore and freshman Mitchell Shulman — contributed to the win by going undefeated in all of its bouts.

Zilinskiy said he was impressed by his team’s overall performance.

“I think we fenced really well,” Zilinskiy said. “I thought it was a great way to open the season for the team. We had a great day as a team and it would be great to carry that on through the rest of the season.”

Gesner seemed excited for the team’s prospects this season.“If the duals at Irvine are any indicator for how the rest of the year is going to be, then this is going to be a great year for the UCSD Fencing Team,” Gesner said.

The Tritons will host the 18th Annual Blade Runner tournament from Nov. 16 to Nov. 17. Last season, the event drew 207 competitors. It will be UCSD’s only home meet until February 2014.