Tritons Still in Play for Postseason

With a 1-1 tie and 1-0 win last weekend, the women’s soccer team still remain in the hunt for a conference tournament spot

The UCSD women’s soccer team picked up a win and a tie last week—results good enough to keep the Tritons in postseason contention.

Last Friday, a 1–1 tie against a weaker San Francisco State team could have been the UCSD women’s soccer team’s undoing.

The following Sunday, the Tritons remained eligible for the four-team conference tournament by the late-game heroics of freshman Jessica Dang. The freshman’s second goal of the year prolonged the season for the Tritons, who defeated Cal State Monterey Bay 1–0 in a game that was close until the final whistle.

“I was just trying to get it in the goal,” Dang said. “When I hit the ball, the contact, I knew it was going in. It was a nice feeling.”

Dang scored both Triton goals over the weekend, netting the first of her career on a free kick in the first half against San Francisco State.

“We’ve been working really hard for the whole season and the results haven’t really been showing it, but I think today we really stepped up and we finished our opportunities when we had them, when it really mattered,” Dang said after the win.

Head coach Brian McManus was happy with the weekend’s results but understands the situation that his team faces with just two games remaining.

“Its been a hard season, but we talked today before the game; we said we’ve got three games left and every one is a championship game,” McManus said. “So that’s the first championship game, then we’ve got two to go.”

The Tritons head into the final weekend of the season just one point shy of a playoff berth.

“We said at the beginning of the year, let’s give ourselves a chance to go to the [conference tournament]. That’s all we’re looking for, and that’s what we’ve done,” McManus said. “We’ve put ourselves into a position where it’s down to us to get into it.”

UCSD travels to Cal Poly Pomona on Friday night, having tied the Broncos 2–2 just two weekends earlier. The regular season wraps up on Sunday at 2 p.m. with a matchup against Cal State Los Angeles, whom the Tritons defeated 3–1 in early September. If the Tritons can match their result against Cal State Los Angeles after Friday night’s games, the Sunday showdown at Triton Stadium between the two CCAA South Division foes becomes an elimination game for both teams.

“It’s a two-game season,” Jessica Dang said. “We’re kind of playing with our lives on the line, we have to go on and that’s what we’re going to do. We’re going to win.”