Presidential Candidates Debate on Campus Issues

A.S. Presidential candidate Caesar Feng addressed students at the debate, held in Price Center Plaza on Tuesday afternoon.
    A.S. Presidential candidate Caesar Feng addressed students at the debate, held in Price Center Plaza on Tuesday afternoon. Photo by Brian Monroe/Guardian

Monday’s debate marked the only time that the presidential candidates officially met to discuss and debate issues including transportation in front of the student body.

The A.S. Council presidential debates were held in Price Center’s amphitheater in front of an audience of over 40 supporters, spectators and casual bystanders at noon on Monday. The five candidates, Andy Buselt of Keep it Real, Sammy Chang of One Voice, Caeser Feng of FLOW with the FENG, Courtney Hill of Triton’s Choice and Meena Kaushik of United each gave opening statements and then took turns answering four questions, two from debate moderator and Managing Editor of The Guardian Zev Hurwitz and two from audience members. The debates lasted just over an hour.

The candidates each gave a five-minute-long opening statement in which they named their relevant past experiences and explained their slate platforms. Kaushik stated United’s goal to “unify communities and council from within,” and Buselt spoke of his wish to increase the use of bicycles on campus. Feng emphasized the importance of “alumni, philanthropy, diversity and community,” Hill mentioned her goal to “reduce red tape on campus” and continue revising the student conduct code and Chang outlined his plans to create much-needed financial transparency and accountability within A.S. Council.

Hurwitz asked the candidates how they would confront the recent transportation crisis and what changes A.S. Council would implement to prevent further cuts to the program. Chang said that as president, he would analyze budgets and continue a transportation workgroup to work toward financial solvency. Hill pledged to maintain and protect services offered by Transportation Services, but she and all four other candidates noted that the current situation was not sustainable and that changes were inevitable.

Hurwitz’s second question directed candidates to address how A.S. Council would avoid a budget deficit like the one it faced this year. Buselt and Hill noted that council had resolved its deficit this year, and Hill mentioned her support for a five-year plan that would ensure a sustainable funding future. Chang stated his concern that council was at risk of going into deficit once again and mentioned his plan to have a third-party consulting team come in to analyze council’s budget.

“While there isn’t a deficit [now],” Chang said, “we are not being sustainable in our funding — A.S. is not allocating money correctly.”

Eleanor Roosevelt College junior and current Campuswide Senator Jackie Clavin asked the candidates how they would address the growing transfer population, and Sixth College sophomore and Sixth College Student Council member Liza Lukasheva asked how candidates would reimburse college councils with funds owed to them by A.S. Council.

The presidential debates follow the vice presidential debates that happened last Wednesday at 12 p.m.

“We’re at a point where the candidates want to reinforce what they’re about,” Hurwitz said. “For the people who just happened to be sitting there or actually came to watch, I think that a couple of things the candidates said should help direct undecided voters toward a particular candidate.”

Voting for the presidential candidates, vice presidential candidates, senators and the UCEN referendum takes place on TritonLink until Friday, April 12.