Site Seen: The Whaley House

The Whaley House has been the destination of intrepid explorers, willing to traverse the realm of the paranormal, for years. Built in 1857, it is considered to be one of the most historically significant houses in San Diego, and one of the most haunted houses in America. It was originally the Whaley family residence, but has since served as San Diego’s first theater, the county courthouse and the Whaley and Crosthwaite General Store.

Sanh Luong/Guardian

In its 150 years of existence, the house has accumulated quite a retinue of ghostly inhabitants. Before the house’s construction, James Robinson — or “Yankee Jim” — was hanged on the plot of the land over which the house was built. Thomas Whaley, the original owner, reported hearing heavy footsteps and decided it was Robinson’s ghost. Tourists have also reported seeing a little girl who reportedly broke her neck on a clothesline by accident while playing with the Whaley children, a spotted dog that may be Dolly Varden, the Whaley’s terrier, and even Thomas Whaley himself.

Don’t let experiences with the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland fool you; this house is the real thing. Behind its white-paneled exterior lies a long history of ghosts and haunting with dozens of tourguides willing to affirm its validity.

2476 San Diego Avenue

San Diego, CA, 92110

$2515
    $5000