Site Seen: Ye Olde Bicycle Cafe

When walking into Ye Olde Bicycle Cafe, some may wonder if they’ve entered a bike museum or a coffeehouse. Situated near San Diego State University, Ye Olde Bicycle Cafe is far from your everyday Starbucks, and features the unusual, but charming combination of bicycles and coffee in one location. Split into two sections, one side of the cafe sells coffee and showcases bicycle artifacts while the other houses a bike repair shop at discount prices.

PHOTOS BY KAIA LAI/Guardian

Some of the featured bicycles date from the 19th century and are worth up to $5,000. One tandem bike on display made an appearance in the movie “Seabiscuit.” But not all bicycles stay as mere artifacts; sometimes local bikers take out big-wheeled bikes called penny-farthings for a ride.

The bicycle store and repair shop is a little overcrowded, but finding bikes isn’t a difficult task. The shop is well organized and friendly staffers are ready to help with the selection process. You can buy your own used bike without breaking your budget for around $70.

The coffeehouse serves the usual lattes and pastries, but its menu also features freshly made smoothies. Comfortable sofas and intimate seating arrangements make Ye Olde Bicycle Cafe the perfect place to converse with friends or study. The cafe also offers a free Wi-Fi Internet connection.

The cafe is an excellent choice for the college student’s budget: homemade brownies are only $1 and a small coffee will only cost you $1.25. You can even buy a delicious cup of Mexican hot chocolate for an affordable $1.25. Even better are happy-hour Mondays and Fridays, which run from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m., and feature freezes and smoothies for only $1.

Although bikes invade the cafe space, they make for a different environment and are more interesting than stifling. Ye Olde Bicycle Cafe looks more like a bike store than a museum or coffeehouse, but the cheap coffee and friendly ambience is worth the trip.

Ye Olde Bicycle Cafe is open Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., and is open Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Ye Olde Bicycle Cafe

6792 University Ave.

San Diego, CA 92115

(619) 582-4024