Tritons Move to 19–1 in CCAA After Two Big Road Wins

Photo by Kyoka Matsunaga || UCSD Guardian

UC San Diego @ Chico State — Chico, CA

With a California Collegiate Athletic Association regular-season championship already in the books and the top rank secured for the upcoming CCAA tournament, the UC San Diego women’s basketball team looks to successfully close out the last two road games before postseason.

On Thursday night, the Tritons defeated Chico State 67–55 after trailing by three at the end of the third quarter. In a competitive, hard-fought game and with the score tied at halftime, UCSD found a way to put the pieces together and took home another victory.

Multiple Tritons filled the stat sheet contributing to the overall come-from-behind team win. After six tied scores and four lead changes in the third quarter, senior guard Taylor Tanita executed in response on the offensive end. Tanita drained three clutch three-pointers in the last 10 minutes of the game, one of which took the lead with 5:46 remaining.

Junior guard Kayla Sato led the team with 16 points, accumulated from five field goals, one three-pointer, and three free throws. In addition, Sato grabbed six boards and tallied two steals and two assists.

UCSD caught fire in the fourth quarter as the team shot a solid 50 percent (7–14) from the field. The Tritons also performed perfection from the free throw line in the entirety of the first half.

Senior forward Dalayna Sampton followed closely behind Sato with 15 points and 10 rebounds while redshirt sophomore Mikayla Williams recorded 12 points and 12 rebounds.

At the two minute mark, UCSD held a comfortable five-point lead that only continued to expand before the final buzzer sounded.

UC San Diego @ Humboldt State — Arcata, CA

Having traveled another four hours north from Chico, the Tritons suited up Saturday evening to face Humboldt State while chasing a perfect 12–0 record in away games. Williams guided UCSD to a 77–62 triumph providing 19 points of her own and two rebounds short (8) from her twelfth double-double on the season.

Ahead by just four after the first quarter, UCSD went on a roll before heading into the locker room, stretching the lead to 22 at the half.

As a unit, the Tritons shot above 50 percent in all but one quarter and a rewarding 61.5 percent in the fourth quarter alone. Sharp shooting from Sato and Tanita combined for a total of 27 points, 17 and 10 respectively. Sato also facilitated five assists and collected seven rebounds.

UCSD capitalized on Humboldt’s mistakes, scoring 14 points off of it 13 turnovers. With plenty of second chance opportunities on offense the Tritons did not fail to maintain the bleeding.

Sampton listed 16 points and 10 rebounds, dominating the boards defensively. Sophomore guard Sydney Sharp sank two three-pointers in her first appearance back after missing five games due to an ankle injury to add to the score parade.

Superior in just about all statistical categories from points to rebounds to assists, UCSD was able to complete its long four-day trek on a positive note and return home fulfilled with two more wins.

The Tritons will play Cal State Dominguez Hills on Thursday, Feb. 22 at 5:30 p.m. in RIMAC Arena.