'Another American' is a one-man thrill

It is normal to have second thoughts when asked to see a one-man show with 18 characters. It reeks of a crazy actor caught up in long, self-involved monologues. However, the Diversionary Theater’s latest production, “”Another American: Asking and Telling,”” which explores the “”don’t ask, don’t tell”” policy in the American military, is surprisingly entertaining and draws in the audience through various characters, who range from being heartbreaking to hilarious ‹ often at the same time.

Playwright Marc Wolf spent three years traveling across America and interviewing many people, including gay and lesbian military personnel, federal judges, civil rights lawyers, veterans of various wars, politicians, activists and professors of sociology, constitutional law and military history. The interviews were taped, transcribed and then edited into monologues using each person’s own words to construct the text for the play. His play succeeds in cutting into the individuals’ words at that moment when they most cogently learned something about themselves. At that point, they become characters, speaking the unvarnished truth ‹ and, in the case of “”Another American,”” bringing new insight into the psychological cost of silence to individuals and to the country they serve.

Actor, Russell Garrett delivers a brilliant performance. Two hours of solid monologues would tire any actor out, but he manages to solidly perform. A very minimalist set, including a glass of water, a desk and a chair, brings even more focus to the different characters Garrett portrays. He has a very natural way of portraying the numerous characters, managing to morph effortlessly from a Southern belle to a soft-spoken marine to a screaming lawyer. This ease lets the audience forget that there is only one person on the stage. After a while, each of the characters become so separate it seems as if there were 18 different actors. The play’s success lies in this ability to pull off such a difficult accomplishment.

This play is a must-see if you are in the mood for something heavier than the latest Hollywood comedy. Wolf’s script manages to bring a contentious, if suppressed, issue to light and serves as a blueprint for a lively and emotional evening of theater. Tickets are available for $20 through the Diversionary Theater box office at (619) 220-0097.