DVD REVIEW: 'Evolution' DVD doesn't evolve past the film itself

The case on the DVD of the Ivan Reichman ( “”Ghostbusters,”” “”Animal House””) action/comedy flick “”Evolution”” boasts a quote by an adept New York Post critic calling the movie simply, “”Fun!””

Courtesy of DreamWorks Pictures

Fun is the perfect word to describe “”Evolution.”” What else could a movie featuring gross-out aliens, Agent Mulder, Oscar-wannabe Julianne Moore, the guy from the “”Make 7-UP Yours”” commercials and Stifler of “”American Pie”” fame hope to be?

Unfortunately, while the movie itself stays true to pure entertainment, some of the special features on the DVD generally attempt to push the movie beyond its openly imbecilic nature into the realm of artsy movie-making.

This half-hearted push, mainly evident in a mini “”making-of”” documentary and a visual effects featurette, turns what was pure comedy into comedy science, which works in some movies but not in one that features as much recto-humor and bodily excretions as this one does. On the positive side, the visual effects featurette is at least mildly interesting and gives the viewer an appreciation for the work behind the extraterrestrial grossness in the film.

A full-length audio commentary by Reichman and the lead actors (minus Moore) also drifts into over-analysis but is partially saved by the surprisingly wry humor of David “”Mulder”” Duchovny, slapstick of Orlando “”7-Up”” Jones and Seann William “”Stifler”” Scott.

Fortunately, the remaining special feature, the deleted scenes, somewhat makes up for the others by being almost more fun-oriented than the movie itself. Particularly entertaining is an alternate, deleted ending that cannot be described in words (at least not in a major campus newspaper).

Another plus for the DVD is its excellent color fidelity; all the disgusting aliens and their excretions and protrusions can be scene in luminescent detail.

Finally, to its credit, the DVD offers an ample variety of subtitles and dub-overs in English, French and Spanish.