Categories:

Senior Sendoff: Beliz Berik

Senior Sendoff: Beliz Berik
Image by Thomas Murphy for The UCSD Guardian

When I first moved to California five years ago, I had no idea about “June Gloom.” I thought

California would always be warm and sunny. Well, turns out it isn’t. Just like every level of life, the weather can also be bittersweet, and at this point of my life I’m not quite sure about how I feel, but I can say that I am beyond thankful for my time here.

From the moment I had a sense of identity, I was passionate about reading and writing, and I have definitely considered myself a bookworm. But, when it comes to sharing my knowledge with others, I hesitated a lot, because nothing was ever perfect and I could always do better. At The UCSD Guardian, I gained confidence in myself and learned that even though I may not like how I wrote about one topic a while later and can find mistakes in it, I had to start from somewhere, and these are all steps of growth and improvement.

With looking back in time and flashback to my college memories, the weather outside makes me feel gloomy as I write these lines; but at the same time knowing that later in the day clouds will recede and the sun will shine goes parallel with my excitement for what the future holds for me after graduation. So, the June Gloom finally makes sense.

Thomas Murphy
Thomas Murphy, Co-Webmaster & Associate Photo Editor
A psychology student who can't seem to put down a camera or sleep to save his life.
$2615
$5000