The Student News Site of University of California - San Diego

The UCSD Guardian

The UCSD Guardian

The UCSD Guardian

Bloom Bash 2024
Thomas Murphy, Co-Webmaster & Associate Photo Editor • Apr 22, 2024
Why I Smoke: 4/20 on Sun God Lawn
Ennis Opal, Staff Writer • Apr 22, 2024
Lunar Legislation: A look ahead
Max Rivett, Staff Writer • Apr 22, 2024
The History and Effects of THC
Kelly Loo, Senior Staff Writer • Apr 22, 2024

Shores Diner to fill vacancy at Old Student Center

Photo by Raymond Tran/ UCSD Guardian

Shores Diner, a traditional American diner-themed restaurant, is expected to open in late March or early April at the Old Student Center. 

The restaurant will be located in the building previously occupied by Underbelly Ramen, which had only been open for approximately a year. The location has changed hands several times over the past decade. Porter’s Pub called the location home until 2015. In 2017, Consortium Holdings took over ownership of the building. 

Under the ownership of Consortium Holdings, the location was home to Soda and Swine, Uncle Italian, and most recently Underbelly. Now, the building has changed hands once again and is under the ownership of Adam Jacoby, co-owner of Dirty Birds La Jolla at Price Center. 

Jacoby explained the rationale behind the theme of the new restaurant to SanDiegoVille.

“Listening to the students and faculty alike we decided a classic American diner concept would best serve their interest,” he said.

This sentiment was echoed by Associate Director of University Communications Leslie Sepuka. 

“The menu is breakfast-forward, a concept that reflects student feedback and campus survey results,” she said. 

Sepuka expressed the university’s optimism about the new restaurant. 

“Shores Diner is a welcome addition to the original Student Center,” she said. “The proprietors have a proven track record of success on campus with their Dirty Birds restaurant at the Price Center.”

According to Jacoby, the restaurant will benefit UC San Diego beyond serving as another dining option.

“We are looking forward to utilizing the space to its fullest potential including an outdoor patio area in the back attached to the Stage Room that would be ideal to host an abundance of ideas for events, brunches, game viewing, school club functions, etc.,” Jacoby told SanDiegoVille.

The university and Jacoby both appear hopeful that this new location will have a greater staying power than some of the previous occupants.  

“University Center anticipates a successful partnership with the new Shores Diner, both in offering a food concept that students will enjoy and creating an environment that welcomes students to hang out, study, and have fun with friends,” Sepuka said.