TV Review: “Sex Education” Season 2

1st May Ep 2-17.dng
1st May Ep 2-17.dng

After a surplus of positive reviews from its initial release, the hit Netflix original “Sex Education” was left with nothing else but to give the fans what they wanted. 

Comedy-drama “Sex Education” — a show following the lives of Moordale High School teenagers as they discover sex and navigate through complex interpersonal relationships — released its second season on Jan. 11. Although the title would suggest that the main focus is, in fact, sex, there are also a myriad of issues that the show brings to the screen that are not usually depicted on television. With the brilliance of the show’s production value and its wonderful way of introducing difficult topics in every episode, “Sex Education” falls under a must see Netflix show for any binge-watcher.

The amazing cinematography and production value of “Sex Education” enhances any night in of television watching. With various overhead establishing shots, creative closeups, and the surprise dutch angle here and there, many viewers are reminded of the aesthetically pleasing trademark Netflix is known for in shows like “Dear White People” and “Black Mirror.” Each episode utilizes more and more interesting shots creating different ways of conveying the plot to the audience. Something else that catches the eye immediately is the show’s extremely vibrant color scheme. The location of the show has natural greens from the forests around and beautiful architecture in the remastered buildings that add to the overall display of the show. Bright neon colors and 80’s inspired outfits give a curt nod to the aesthetic so widely cherished and makes the audience eager to see more.

A major standout of the show is the many different plot lines that are incorporated throughout every episode. While each episode follows a different couple and their problems in the sex department, “Sex Education” still maintains the linear plot of Otis, payed by Asa Butterfield, as well as overarching subcharacter development stories. Although it seems like there might be too much going on plotwise, the producers weave each story through flawless writing and seamless cuts, allowing the audience to follow each plot with ease and little confusion.

A great addition to the plot of the show is the overall diversity of the show’s representation. The diverse cast of characters allows for any viewer to find themselves in the world of Moordale. Ncuti Gatwa plays Eric Effiong, best friend to the main character Otis, who is a gay man trying to understand and accept the person he is as well as the love that he deserves. His character goes through a struggle of heart and self-acceptance in the eyes of a gay man, a narrative not often explored in mordern media. Another standout LGBTQ+ exploration done in the show is Jackson’s non-biological mother’s relationship and her insecurity about not being Jackson’s biological mother. A hardship not often known to the media is the struggles of a same-sex family and the role the non-biological parent has in the childs life. With so many different representations of people of color and LGBTQ+ relationships and issues explored in the show, it seems as if there is something for anyone that watches the show.

Another excellent part of the writing in the show is the female representation included. The next part of this article contains spoilers, so please proceed with caution. In one of the episodes, Aimee Gibbs — the former popular girl who is sweet, soft spoken and played by Aimée Lou Wood — experiences sexual assault on the bus on her way to school. The show follows her through the act of reporting the assault, understanding what happened to her, and the trauma that follows. Women, daily, are faced with sexual harassment and “Sex Education” used its platform to speak on behalf of the women that do not get to speak their truths. Towards the end of the season, there is a powerful point where A imee works with a group of girls in detention to find their common interest. In turn, all the ladies begin to share stories about their experiences with sexual harassment am become allies in their shared experiences. The vulnerability and severe truth emitted in this episode is so powerful and displays so famously the raw talent in this show. When a television series takes the time to have every story heard, accurately and in such great detail, it deserves all the recognition it can get. With this, it is easy to see that “Sex Education” is a show for any person wanting a little diverse adventure in their watching experience.

Grade: A
Created By: Laurie Nunn
Starring: Asa Butterfield, Gillian Anderson, Ncuti Gatwa
Release Date: January 11, 2020
Rated: Rated TV-MA

Image courtesy of The Buzz Paper.