How to be Better at Life in 2016 Without Really Trying

This is not one of those “become the best you” articles. As a 21-year-old college senior who still can’t remember to floss more than once a week, I don’t think that I have any authority to give life advice. Now that we’ve established that my authority as a life coach extraordinaire is non-existent, I can go forward sharing with you all some of the things that I want to work on this year.

1. Be Healthy Because It Feels Good

Health bloggers and foodie Instagram accounts are a dime a dozen. While I totally envy those trendy fitness gurus who survive solely off fruit bowls — and are still somehow able to run six  miles a day anddo yoga, I know that will never be me. I enjoy eating solid food and don’t have the time to go on a run every day. I do, however, believe that it’s important for me to continue to eat simply and healthily, because it makes me feel good. Simply put, for 2016, I will try to not do things to my body that make me feel like shit. For me that means limiting binge-drinking and rich foods while not blowing off workouts for an episode of a syndicated show on Netflix.

2. Being More Present

This year, I want to make a conscious effort to spend less time on my phone at parties, concerts and pretty much every social function. I’ve grown to realize that if I’m at a party with a room full of people on their phones, A) it’s probably not a very fun party, and B) the people there are probably duds; in either case, it’s a waste of my time being there. But here’s my one demand for smartphone users in 2016: Can we all agree that snapchatting the entire evening and more so, your life, is totally insane and the most antisocial thing to do on social media? #StopOverSnapchattingin2K16.

3
Art by Alex Liang

3. Be More Realistic About Money

I have no shame admitting I like having things. I’m not materialistic in the dramatic sense of the word, but I like being comfortable, which for me means having access to an espresso machine, a space of my own and the ability to let my inner foodie go ham at Trader Joe’s. Since I’m not ready to relinquish all these comforts that I’ve grown accustomed to and join the Peace Corps, I’ve realized that I need to be more realistic about money. This means that I need to actually budget my life — start saving instead of living paycheck to paycheck. I need to find a job post-college that gives me the ability to afford my desired life.

4. Understand My Privilege

I have lived a privileged life. I’m a college-educated, white female who comes from an incredibly supportive middle class family in Los Angeles. I haven’t had to deal with any major tragedies in life and have never had to worry about when I’m going to get my next meal or if I’d have a roof over my head. I am incredibly fortunate and privileged and as someone in this position, there is a responsibility to recognize that privilege and in return, find a way to pay forward all the things we take for granted. This year, I want to explore more opportunities on how I can do something for others, not to feel good about myself, but to make others experience the joy that I took for granted my entire life.