Golf Fails to Make Semi-Finals

Photo by UCSD Athletics
    Photo by UCSD Athletics

UCSD finishes seventh overall despite a strong performance from junior Clayton Yamaguchi who finishes tied for sixth.

Photo by UCSD Athletics
    Photo by UCSD Athletics

UCSD hosted the California Collegiate Athletic Association Men’s Golf Championship in Stockton, California from this past Monday through Wednesday. The Tritons placed seventh overall out of eight participating squads, thus not qualifying for the semifinals. The top UCSD finisher was junior Clayton Yamaguchi, who finished sixth in a tie with two other athletes.

Along with UCSD (582, six strokes over par), Sonoma State University (576, even), Cal State San Bernardino (581, five strokes over par) and Cal State Dominguez Hills (586, 10 strokes over par) were the three other teams that did not qualify for the semifinals.

After Monday’s competition, No. 5 Chico State (559, 17 under par) placed first, No. 7 Cal State Monterey Bay (566, 10 under par) second, Cal State Stanislaus (573, three under par) third and Cal State East Bay (574, two under par) fourth to advance to the semifinals on Tuesday.

On Monday, UCSD started the day off strong and shot a 287 as a team to temporarily place fourth. The second round in the afternoon saw it drop to 295 and a seventh-place finish.

“Unfortunately, we came up short today despite shooting a season-best round this morning,” UCSD head coach Jim Ragan told the UCSD Athletics Department. “We played well during the second round, also, equaling our second-lowest round of the year.”

Yamaguchi got off to a hot start as he hit an amazing 67 in the opening round and tied for first place. However, he did not find the same success in the second round, shooting a still-good 73 that dropped him to sixth place. He hit the second-most birdies in the competition to finish the competition with a four-under par 140.

The rest of the UCSD team saw senior Jay Lim tie for 18th (145), junior Daniel Yang tie for 22nd (146), junior Jeff Roseth tie for 34th (151) and sophomore Rocky Hall finish 39th (156).

“The guys did a great job representing UCSD today,” Ragan said. “They continued to get better as the season progressed and played their best golf over the last two weeks.”

Chico State’s junior Alistair Docherty defeated Cal State Stanislaus’ sophomore Connor Day to be named the CCAA individual champion, while Chico State’s junior Justin Wiles shot a 66 in the second round on the day, the lowest round of the day.

The CCAA all-tournament team included Docherty, Day, Wiles, Cal State Monterey Bay’s sophomore Fredrik Jullum and junior Anton Rosen.

Cal State East Bay upset fourth-ranked Chico State (3–2), and Cal State Stanislaus defeated Cal State Monterey Bay (3.5–1.5) to advance to Wednesday’s championship medal-match round.