Female Power Artists Have the Freedom to Choose Different Directions For Their Image and Music

Four men may be credited for writing “Wrecking Ball,” but it’s Miley Cyrus herself who gets all the credit for going nude in her new music video.

Men may offer demos, options and suggestions to powerful female artists in the industry, but female performers make the decision to accept or reject them.

Whether the path they choose is conservative or sexual, women have the power to control the direction and image they want to bring to their art and careers.

Both powerful men and women comprise the music industry; female artists who proudly choose to take their careers in a different direction should not be characterized as being “anti-female” or exploited by men for doing so.

It is a double standard to say that women cannot choose to express sex in their music. This suggests that only men can characterize and portray women sexually, while women themselves can’t. This preconceived notion only supports traditional constructs of how females should view and treat their sexuality. The way female artists choose to express themselves in regards to sex and their bodies in their music is ultimately up to them.

Society’s latest trend has been to criticize Cyrus for her overtly sexual and promiscuous performances, but the star is proud of her newfound freedom in her music. The former “Hannah Montana” star tweeted several unenthused responses to the industry advice that ’80s pop star Sinead O’Connor offered her in a public letter. O’Connor complimented the young artist’s talent, but warned her not let the industry prostitute her and her body. Miley’s rejection of O’Connor’s advice shows her confidence behind her decision to take on a direction of her own.

No one forced Cyrus to grind with Robin Thicke at the Video Music Awards, nor was she pushed to transform herself from teen pop star to twerk queen. Miley Cyrus is one of many empowered female artists who have made their own decisions and prospered in the music industry.