UCSD Alumnus Promoted to Assistant Swim Coach

Perdew, who earned degrees in Management Science and Psychology, graduated in 2010. The five-time NCAA National Champion in the 50-meter freestyle and 100-meter freestyle has since spent the past two seasons as a part-time assistant coach.

“Earning a full-time position at your alma mater is pretty exciting,” Perdew said. “It’s pretty special, and I’m really thankful for [men’s coach Matt Macedo] and [women’s coach Corrie Falcon] being able to learn from them. They’ve both been guiding me and teaching me so that I feel like I’m prepared to take this position.”

With Perdew as part of staff in 2012, the Tritons earned national runners-up honors on the men’s side and took third place at nationals on the women’s side. 

Perdew says he’s excited to take on an expanded role, which will include recruiting responsibilities and more administrative authority.

“I think the biggest thing that I bring to the program is that I’ve been part of the program for six years,” Perdew said. “I know the school, I know the student athletes and the type of athletes that we want for the program.”

Perdew was promoted by head coaches Falcon and Macedo. Both promoted from assistant coaching positions for the 2012 season.

“I am excited and I feel a sense of confidence, and I feel like he’s going to do an incredible job,” Falcon said. “It feels good having someone on board that knows UCSD inside and out and is truly passionate about the sport.”

Falcon says Perdew has many assets to bring to the coaching staff.

“I would say that he has a great ability to relate to the student athletes,” Falcon said. “He understands the stresses of balancing school and the training load. I’d say he’s bright and creative and extremely hardworking and also very reliable and confident.”