Tritons Go 1-3 in Season Finale

The series was the last of the regular season for both the Tritons and Otters. UCSD finished the season over .500 with a 26–24 record and an even 20–20 in their conference. The Otters improved to 37–13 overall and claimed the conference regular-season title. 

UCSD was eliminated from the CCAA Championships last week, but still has a chance to play in the upcoming NCAA Division II Regionals. In order to do so, they must be ranked in the top six in the soon to be announced final polls. They have occupied the sixth spot in the previous two polls and will find out if they qualify for the NCAA Division II West Regionals when the selections are announced this Sunday.   

Game 1: Friday, May 3
    UCSD 3, Cal State Monterey Bay 4

In the first game of the series, both starting pitchers went toe to toe, matching each other in two solid performances. Ace Ryan Goodbrand of UCSD and Will Anderson of Cal State Monterey Bay both went seven innings, giving up six hits and three earned runs. 

The Otters struck first and scored single runs in the second, third and fourth, while UCSD scored all three of their runs in the top of the fifth. Senior center fielder Danny Susdorf had a big two RBI single up the middle for the Tritons and then crossed the plate himself when junior shortstop Dillon Moyer singled to left field.

The game was all tied up going into the bottom of the ninth, when Otter leadoff man David Garcia singled to start the inning. Two ensuing bunts — one for an infield single and another to move the runners over — brought Garcia to third. After an intentional walk to load the bases, pinch-hitter Jesse Olson singled through the left side of the infield to score the winning run for the Otters in walk-off fashion.

Game 2: Saturday, May 4
    UCSD 6, Cal State Monterey Bay 1

Junior Scott Liske got the ball rolling for the Tritons to start the game, homering to left center in the top of the first inning. The Tritons were held scoreless for the next five innings but maintained the lead behind a dominant pitching performance from junior Blake Fassler. Fassler — named this week’s CCAA Pitcher of the Week — threw seven shutout innings, only allowing four hits with no walks while striking out six.

In the seventh, UCSD broke the game open, scoring five runs off five hits. Designated hitter, junior Nick La Face, homered for two RBI. Junior Garrett Tuck scored when the Otter catcher committed a throwing error, trying to catch Tuck stealing third. An RBI single by junior Spencer Frazier and double by Liske rounded out the scoring for the Tritons. Liske finished the game 3-for-4 with two RBI and a run scored. 

Game 3: Saturday, May 4
    UCSD 5, Cal State Monterey Bay 7

In the second game of the double-header, UCSD wasted no time jumping out for an early lead. Junior Justin Rahn hit a three-run home run to open up the game. 

Monterey Bay wasted no time in answering the Tritons however, scoring three of its own in the bottom of the second. A two RBI single and a sacrifice fly tied the game for the Otters. 

In their next inning, the Otters jumped ahead off a two RBI double by Jason Merjano, and it was the Triton’s turn to play catch up. 

UCSD scored runs in the fourth and fifth innings. Frazier had a RBI single in the fourth and Rahn a RBI single in the fifth. Rahn finished the game 2-for-2 with four RBI and a walk.  

The Otters went run for run with the Tritons, picking up runs in fourth and fifth themselves. UCSD had the tying run at the plate in the seventh but couldn’t score and dropped the third game. 

Game 4: Sunday, May 5
    UCSD 3, Cal State Monterey Bay 5

Monterey Bay scored twice in the bottom of the first off two RBI singles to take the lead. The Otters added another in the third when Jesse Olson singled in another run, and the Tritons found themselves in an early 0–3 hole.

The Tritons would get on the board in the top of the fifth, shrinking the deficit with a two RBI double by Rahn. But the Otters would gain one run back in the next inning though, keeping the two-run lead at 4–2. 

In the seventh, Susdorf, in what might be his last game of a sensational UCSD career, tripled to lead off the inning and scored on a sacrifice fly by first baseman Richard Seigel. Susdorf finished the game 2-for-4 with a run scored and two stolen bases. 

The Otters would again answer back in their half of the seventh inning, scoring on their own sacrifice fly to keep the lead at two. Despite having runners at second and third in the top of the ninth, UCSD was unable to score and dropped the final game by a score of 5–3.