Pursuit of the Pearls

To help find the right boba spot, the Guardian has reviewed three boba establishments. Each location has been reviewed based on a regular-sized milk tea boba, location, parking, service, atmosphere and price. If you’re lactose intolerant, we have even found a place that makes non-dairy milk tea boba.

TEA STATION 

Located in Kearny Mesa, Tea Station is already a spot that’s well known for its delicious — albeit pricey — boba drinks. Unlike most boba places, Tea Station is more like a restaurant than a typical boba place. Noticeably, the waitresses are kind and quite attentive. Although customers have access to Wi-Fi and plenty of table seating, there aren’t many outlets, and the wait staff makes it too formal for this place to be considered a good place to study. Customers mostly chat in small groups — not a single laptop or student is in sight.

One of the unique aspects of this place is that customers can choose their preferred level of drink sweetness as well as the option to substitute honey for sugar. The regular milk tea boba ($3.50) was expensive, but the amount of boba compensated for its price. The boba itself was perfectly chewy. The milk tea seemed a bit diluted, but the half-level of sweetness is perfect. Despite the cost, Tea Station is a place to socialize and enjoy great boba. 

TEA N MORE 

Across from Tea Station in Kearny Mesa is Tea N More, which possesses all the characteristics you’d expect from a typical boba shop — and as a plus, all drinks are dairy-free. The kitchen and drink-making station is located in the corner of the room, while the rest of the space is dedicated to self-seating at tables as well as a few couches. The setting encourages hanging out for a prolonged period of time. With the background of Korean pop music, customers have the luxury of playing games (e.g., Connect Four), a photo booth and bookshelves filled with magazines and manga. There is Wi-Fi, plenty of seating and many outlets for your computer or phone charger, which can make it a great study space — if you can handle the background noise.

While the space is almost ideal for studying and socializing, the milk tea boba ($3.24) was not exceptional. The boba was fine, but the insipid flavor of the milk tea itself left a feeling of dissatisfaction. However, a great alternative is the Royal Coffee milk tea boba ($3.75), which tastes like melted coffee ice cream. 

INFINI TEA 

From the name to the interior decoration, this tea station is nothing but charming. The establishment has a cozy feel and is on the smaller side, with around 50 seats and a couple of couches. If you dine in, a server will take your order. Despite its restaurant-like atmosphere, it still retains the casual vibe of a boba joint. There is Wi-Fi, huge murals depicting adorable boba-inspired cartoon characters, and a small selection of magazines and games. There are also varying sizes of tables, so group hangouts or solo study sessions are both an option. The blender in the back keeps the noise level to a minimum.

The milk tea boba ($3) has tasty and well-textured boba, but the tea itself is overly sweet.

Finding the right boba venue is a project. From the frequent customer punch cards to trying everything on the menu, once you discover the place that satisfies your boba needs, you will surely never be disappointed.

$2515
    $5000