Album Review: “Girl Talk” by Kate Nash

Let’s get one thing straight: Kate Nash is not another Lily Allen. Sure, the two musicians both have peppy, distinctive London accents and don’t shy away from being tongue-in-cheek, but if her first two quirky albums didn’t already distance herself enough from Allen’s “pop princess” sound, Nash’s newest release, “Girl Talk,” secures her a place far away from the mainstream.

In fact, Nash spends most of the album assuming the decidedly non-commercial task of criticizing superficiality in pop culture and its double standard against women. The title of her third album, “Girl Talk,” already sounds like a feminist anthem against heartbreak and sexism. If that weren’t apparent enough, the track “Rap for Rejection” blatantly stands up against misogyny: “You’re tryna tell me sexism doesn’t exist?/ …/ How many boys will it destroy?”

Rap interlude aside, on a sonic level the album mostly resembles Nash’s 2005 rock debut “Caroline’s a Victim.” Unfortunately, the punk tunes are too disjointed to fully evolve from the song. Granted, the lack of smooth flow is intentional, as it is intended to mimic jumbled thoughts; however, tracks like “Sister” and “All Talk” are almost unbearable, with screeching vocals that lack good transitions.

Luckily, the album bears some redeeming qualities, such as slick guitar riffs, especially in the catchy single “3AM” and the ’60s-flavored alt-rock “OMYGOD!” Nonetheless, it’s hard not to miss Nash’s memorable Regina Spektor-influenced hits: Seeing the Brit grow from the smart, off-the-wall poetry of “Mouthwash” and “Merry Happy” would have been a treat to hear on this album. Maybe she should bring the piano back. (6/10)