Yudof to UC Faculty: No Salary Increases in 2012-13

Despite an expected increase in funding from state government, UC employees will not see any salary increases this fiscal year. UC President Mark G. Yudof announced the news in a Feb. 19 release shared with UC employees.

“I remain committed to implementing a systemwide salary program for staff as soon as the UC budget can support one,” Yudof wrote in the letter. “Last year, we were able to implement general salary increases for non-represented employees for the first time in many years, and it is my hope that we will be able to offer a salary and merit program for the 2013–2014 fiscal year.”

Yudof, who announced his resignation last month effective in August, informed employees of the news that no UC employees, including chancellors and other high-ranking UC faculty and staff members, would see higher paychecks. This statement came a month after California Gov. Jerry Brown unveiled a budget plan that allocated more funding for UC and CSU campuses.

While this year marks the first since the governor took office that a proposed budget included a surplus, state employees had previously received mandated furloughs and pay cuts. Yudof said that while UC administrators elected not to institute pay cuts, future fiscal decisions will still be subject to the state’s economic climate.

“It is important to remember that we are not alone in our budget challenges and that employers everywhere are struggling to balance coping with serious financial difficulties while also properly rewarding their employees,” Yudof wrote. “We need to be mindful of the continuing economic challenges confronting California.”