Softball, Track and Field Stadiums Unveil New Permanent Seats, Video Scoreboard

New improvements to the Triton Track and Field and Softball Stadiums may help the venues to become future hosts to more major events, such as tournaments and NCAA post-season events.

Plans to install a massive new scoreboard for the Track and Field Stadium first came in 2009 when news of the death of alumni and two-time NCAA discus throw and shot put champion Shannon Quigley Runningbear first reached those in the UCSD track and field circle.

Not long after that, pole-vaulter Leon Roach died in a tragic pole-vaulting accident during practice. The tribute to Runningbear was temporarily suspended as Roach’s family coordinated family, friends and members of the track and field community to create a new terrace by the pole-vaulting area, made entirely through volunteer effort at no cost to the students.

Now, four years later, with 90 percent of the funds raised through donation, the 20-by-15 foot scoreboard has been completed. The addition of the scoreboard, estimated to be worth nearly $400,000, will allow athletes and audience members alike to view race results immediately, giving UCSD a better chance of hosting more major track and field events.

“We’re hosting the Cal-Nevada championships, which is 30 to 40 schools in March, and it’ll have nearly all the Big West teams,” men’s track and field Head Coach Tony Salerno said. “Hosting Division-II nationals is on the horizon; I think it’ll happen in the next few years.”

Softball coach Patti Gerckens led the charge in the campaign to add new, permanent seats to the softball stadium in the seating bowl area behind home plate.

With a $250,000 donation from alumna Dana Chaiken, the softball stadium was renovated with new dugouts, a netted backstop and a fencing and press box in 2010. Last week, 313 chair back seats were added to the seating bowl. The chairs will be funded by a campaign that allows people to purchase seats and have their names engraved onto the seat backs.

“It really adds to the look and feel of the facility — it’s already a first-class facility, but it just takes it to another level,” Senior Associate Athletic Director Ken Grosse said. “It allows us to give a much better fan experience, and it’ll give us an opportunity to attract high-level tournaments like NCAA regionals and nationals.”