Gavin Newsom Will Visit UCSD

California Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom is coming to UCSD on Feb. 25, as part of the Revelle Forum Lecture Series. The series, sponsored by UCSD Extension, invites speakers to UCSD as part of their book tours; Newsom will promote his book “Citizenville: How to Take the Town Square Digital and Reinvent Government,” and will also partake in a public interview conducted by political science associate professor Thad Kousser.

Newsom, a former mayor of San Francisco, will speak about topics discussed in his book, including the influence of technology in government participation, the help of digital tools in bridging the gap between government and individuals, and the importance of Americans reinventing their relationships with their governments.

“Newsom’s focus is on how digital and Web technologies have the potential to facilitate greater participation by citizens in the political process,” Arts, Humanities, and Languages Director Daniel Atkinson said.

Following his public interview with Kousser, who is an authority on state and California politics, there will be a Q-and-A session with the audience. The event will conclude with a book signing; Newsom’s book, which is due for publication on Feb. 11, will also be available for purchase.

The event will take place on campus at the Institute of the Americas at 7 p.m. and is free to UCSD students with valid student ID. General admission is $25, and attendees can register at revelleforum.ucsd.edu.

$2515
    $5000