1,500 Student Decrease in Biology Majors

In 2008, the department struggled to find space for the influx of biology students in its classes. As a result of physical limitations, the division declared an “impacted” status for freshmen in 2009 and for transfer students in 2011. This meant that admission into the division would be limited and would be determined through a comprehensive review process and availability terms, with the possibility of appealing to enter the division.

Since then, according to new data released last month, enrollment in the Division of Biological Sciences has decreased from 5,294 to 3,781 undergraduate biology majors. Between 2002 and 2007, the Division of Biological Sciences saw a 60 percent increase in undergraduate biology major enrollment — the peak population of biology majors came in the fall of 2008, with 5,294 undergraduates entering the division.

In an attempt to accommodate the increased amount of students entering the division, administration increased the total number of division courses by approximately 80 percent and lengthened laboratory hours to maximize lab courses.

“During this period of extraordinary growth in student enrollments, we made every effort to maintain a quality student experience for our undergraduate majors,” Division of Biological Sciences Associate Dean for Education Gabrielle Weinhausen said. “Because of the continuous growth in our undergraduate population, even these measures were insufficient.”

At this time, because of the division’s impacted status and the reduction in the number of enrolled undergraduates, students within the division are able to register for courses without insufficient facility problems.

“Ever since my first year, everyone knew that, because of university budget cuts, classes were getting cut, but I think the Division of Biological Sciences did a really great job of maintaining classes so that all biology majors could graduate on time,” Biological Sciences Students Association Co-President Kit Wu said.

The division hopes that lab courses, classroom space and other resources will become available in the future. The administration hopes that new space availability can ultimately enable the department to lift its impacted protocol.

$2515
    $5000