Best Of: Drink

Hillcrest
    1202

The newest gay bar in Hillcrest, 1202 just finished remodeling and it looks amazing. It stands in place of the Eden Night Club, and carries on its reputation. The dark, urban decorations set it apart from other nightspots in the San Diego area, and with its comfy chairs, giant dance floor and cute bartenders, 1202 is the place to unwind and let loose. Even if you’re not into the gay scene, don’t fret. You will be surprised at how many straight guys are here partying with their queer friends. Unlike the fabulous Las Vegas party scene, 1202 is classy and has a friendly atmosphere. The crowd here is diverse, which adds an amazing vibe to the place. Along with fast bartenders and a great DJ every Saturday and Sunday night, 1202 is a spot you won’t want to miss. 1202 will have an official grand opening in the next couple of months so be sure to keep them on your radar.

— Leo Bui
    Design Editor

Mission Valley
    In Cahoots

San Diego isn’t exactly known for its country music scene, but two-stepping Toby Keith fans have a haven in the bar and dance hall In Cahoots. With a spacious dance floor, pool tables and two bars, In Cahoots is the best way to turn around an average weekday. Their specials certainly help — Tuesday night is karaoke night, with no cover and $3 drinks. The Wednesday KSON night, featuring $2.50 you-call-it-drinks, is so popular that it’s impossible to move onto the dance floor. On Thursday night, called “Spuds and Suds,” is the infamous $6 beer, steak and potato dinner special. For patrons with two left feet, In Cahoots hosts free dance lessons every day from 6:30-8 p.m., so if you’ve been holding out on learning the Dallas Shuffle, it’s time to head down to Mission Valley.

— Margaret Yau
    Managing Editor

North Park
    Soda Bar

Located on the sketchier part of El Cajon Boulevard which extends to the east of the 805, Soda Bar is doubtless one of the best places to catch a show in San Diego. Though universally reviled by under-21 music aficionados, Soda Bar is the source of some of San Diego›s best concerts, including bands like Hospitality, Woods and How to Dress Well. The space could probably use some renovations, but with its low drink prices (any mixed drink is $5, a fact which is especially endearing when one considers that a can of PBR is $9 at the House of Blues), wide selection of beer on tap and unfussy attitude, Soda Bar manages to overcome the sloppiness of its interior. Likely the best aspect of Soda Bar is the fact that one can go there on any night and be reasonably certain of finding something interesting to watch. Ticket prices rarely rise above $10 or $12.

— Andrew Whitworth
    Associate A&E Editor

Downtown
    Club Crawl

Waiting in line for a club can drag down a night, but you will be surprised by how fast the line goes at Club Crawl, located in the heart of downtown San Diego. It’s only open one night a week, on Saturdays, but it will be a night to remember (or rather not to remember). With a big dance floor, the place is gorgeous; everything is grand and opulent, but the drinks are unbelievably cheap and oh-so good. Rage hard with their special shots and cocktails under $10. Keep an eye out for the classy yet hot bartenders.

Club Crawl and their partners are running a special promotion: Visit up to four clubs in San Diego for $20 including Club Crawl, Quality Social, Stingaree, Block 16, Analog and Onyx. It doesn’t matter if you’re a guy or a girl — getting in is a breeze. Quality Social and Block 16 are especially great for students and young adults. The crowd is primarily 20s to 30s and they also feature live music on special nights. If you are visiting downtown San Diego for the first time, this might be the best way to carry your party around the entire city.

More than anything, Club Crawl is a party bar, packed every Saturday with beautiful people and their birthday balloons, and it is loud. Lose yourself in the impressive sound and lighting systems — it won’t take long for you to get on your feet and bust a move.

— Leo Bui
    Design Editor

$2515
    $5000