Presenting Your T.V. Course Schedule

As amazing as getting college credit for watching TV sounds, I’d rather it be for a show that actually deserves it. What follows is an open letter to all departmental heads on campus. It is a list of potential courses centered around television shows they should be providing to us willing students.

Ethical Empire Building in “Breaking Bad” — MGT 37

Does a business enterprise have a responsibility towards its customers, its partners, its boss or itself?

Spotting Depression and the Signs of Suicidal Thoughts — MED 17

Using the television series “Louie,” we will look at the complicated and fractured minds of the depressed and suicidal.

Firefly, Arrested Development and Other Case Studies on Failed Marketing Campaigns — COMM 53

Sometimes it’s the most brilliant shows that suffer the most. What makes something a hit and what makes something a flop? If quality were the sole factor, these shows would be among the biggest hits in our pop culture lexicon. By looking at the failed marketing campaigns of these shows, we will examine what can be done to ensure a product connects with audiences.

“Scrubs”: Dealing with the pressures of life in a hospital — MED 182

Often regarded as one of the most realistic depictions of hospital life, this course will examine the means by which future doctors and nurses can manage not only the life-or-death stresses of medical work, but also the personal implications of their line of duty.

From Salvador Dali to Adventure Time: Adventures Into the Mind of Surrealists — VIS 22

National Security and Personal Responsibility — POLI 178

In Showtime’s “Homeland,” Carrie Matheson deals with her bipolar disorder while tracking a potential terrorist. Using political science and the language of the series, we will examine questions such as: How far must we go to preserve our freedoms? Do our own mental and emotional problems outrank the needs of the country we swear allegiance to?

The Psychological Implications of Empty, Meaningless Laugh Tracks — PSYC 123

If a laugh track plays in the middle of the forest, is it ever actually funny? Required materials include “The Big Bang Theory,” “Two and a Half Men,” and the newly reformatted, laugh-tracked “Up All Night.”

“What’s the deal with Judaism?”: An Introduction to Judaism through “Seinfeld” — RELI 18

Constructing the Post-Modern Identity: From “Freaks and Geeks” to “Community” — ANTH 65

“What are you doing you idiots?!”: A look into the decision making processes (or the lack thereof) in “Lost” — COG 174