Wearing Costumes, Council Adjourns Early after Discussing UCAB Fees

SOVAC representatives came by to remind the councilmembers about upcoming elections events they will be hosting, including going door-to-door in Muir College on Monday, Nov. 5.

A.S. Council External Affairs representatives were also at the meeting to speak about election events and introduce the new members of their office: Hilda Graciela Uriarte, Kimberly Dixon, Danielle Gonzalez, Jessica Lee and Matt Sapien.

External Affairs also had some words for the councilmembers in response to the discussion they had about pulling out of UCSA during the previous meeting.

“You all need to consider, as student leaders, what this really means for your campus; we don’t know how this election is going to turn out,” External Affairs Legislative Liaison and UCSA President Raquel Morales said. “For you all to pull out of an organization — the only organization that will fight for you at the state level — it’s very short-sighted of you.”

Council also held an informal costume contest; the winners were AVP Concerts and Events Eric Babajanian, who wore a wolf’s head, Marshall Senators Mariko Kuga and Dalena Nguyen and A.S. Director Heather Belk, who was Rosie the Riveter.

‘There were so many cool costumes and so much effort that I decided to pick three,” Campuswide Senator Summer Perez said.

This week’s factor of the week was Marshall Senator Mariko Kuga, who had a great Buzz Lightyear costume. To infinity and beyond, Ms. Kuga.

AVP College Affairs Leonard Bobbitt and Campuswide Senator Baldeep Dhaliwal, both members of the UCAB board, told council that UCAB will start charging setup fees for student organizations to use spaces like the Price Center Ballroom, beginning in winter quarter.

Later, Bobbitt apologized for his behavior last week at the end of the meeting.

He stormed out during last week’s budget discussion after announcing that he would give his entire stipend to increase the funding for First Year Council, for which his office is responsible.

“I didn’t plan to come in last week and create drama — it wasn’t premeditated,” Bobbitt said. “I don’t have any ill will towards any of you. When I left, I actually wanted to resign last week, and I’ve been on council for three years, and I’ve never felt that way before.

Campuswide Senator Savini Ganhewa’s costume, a Facebook profile page, had a quote attributed to A.S. President Meggie Le that said, “I only drink on days that end in a ‘day.’”

$2515
    $5000