UCSD Enrollment Falls by 272

There are 22,676 undergraduate students, 4,588 graduate students, 1,520 medical students and 268 pharmacy students enrolled at UCSD this year. According to the UC Office of the President, UCSD’s 2012 admittance rate is 37.7 percent, the fourth-lowest admittance rate behind UC Berkeley, UCLA and UC Irvine.

“The total campus enrollment is 29,052, which is 272 students less than Fall Quarter 2011. The new registered undergraduate total is 6,820,” Haid wrote in the report.

Revelle College accepted the most freshmen, at 938 students. Marshall College accepted the least, with only 723 students. Overall, Warren College is the most popular college with 4,034 undergraduates, while ERC has the least number of enrolled students with 3,550 undergraduates.

The five most-enrolled majors are biology, economics, computer science and engineering, psychology and chemistry respectively, with 3,795 biology majors, 2,474 economics majors, 1,656 computer science and engineering majors, 1,547 psychology majors and 1,477 chemistry majors. The least-enrolled majors include Judaic studies, Italian studies, German studies, Russian and Soviet studies and Latin American studies. There are currently 1,102 enrolled undeclared undergraduates.

UCSD’s graduate programs accepted a few more students this year than last year, with 1,279 new students over last year’s 1,263, according to Institutional Research Officer Michael Weinfield. The Jacobs School of Engineering and Rady School of Management were the only programs that had more admits compared to last year, with other programs — arts and humanities, biological sciences, international studies, Scripps, physical sciences and social sciences — experiencing a decrease in admits.

Out of 5,559 applicants, the UCSD School of Medicine accepted only 277, a 5-percent acceptance rate.

However, UCSD students who want to go to the SOM should be worried: the acceptance rate for UCSD med school has been slowly decreasing, according to a 2011 report by the UCSD Career Center. In 2010, 11 percent of medical school applicants were admitted, while 9 percent were admitted in 2011.

According to the SOM Admissions Officer Brian Zeglen, each class now consists of 125 students instead of the 134 students they would have registered five years ago, in order to “give students the best experience.”

UCSD’s Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences plans to release its 2012 official registration report on Nov. 1.

According to the Final Registration Report, 59 PharmD students enrolled out of an accepted class of 60 students.

$2515
    $5000