Take a Bow

With a 5-0 win in their last game of the regular season, the Tritons have done that, but will still be left out of semi-final play this weekend on the campus of CSU Dominguez Hills. After an NCAA hazing infraction left North Division team Humboldt State ineligible for competition, the conference was reorganized, so that only the two top teams from the North and South Divisions respectively are to advance. UCSD remains two points behind second-place-in-the South CSU Dominguez Hills, but four points in front of second-place-in-the-north Chico State.

“I think overall it was a good year,” UCSD Assistant Coach Eric Bucchere said. “All the boys wish that they could still be here next year. We truly believe we deserve to be playing this weekend, and that we would be able to make a run for the championship.”

An inability to score against a team with the highest goals against average in the conference closed the door on any hope of the Tritons overtaking the second spot in the South Division, as UCSD settled for a 0-0 draw to CSU East Bay.

“Obviously, we wished that we could have scored,” Bucchere said. “There was a lot of good moments in the game, and we just weren’t able to put the ball in the net.”

Out of the running, UCSD put together arguably its best offensive performance this season last Sunday in its 5-0 win over CSU Monterey Bay. Senior Scott MacBride scored the program’s first hat trick since 2004.

“[MacBride’s] one of those kids that doesn’t come around very often,” Bucchere said. “He has an unbelievable work rate, and he makes the most out of every training session. He’s been with us for five years, and he’s a very special person to be able to work with.”

Junior transfer (from the University of Washington) Will Pleskow scored the opening goal for the Tritons, while senior forward Kian Malek connected with senior Adam Zernik to finish his first goal of the season.

“We approached the game with the same mentality that we’ve taken with every game,” Bucchere said. “It was just one of those games where the balls started going in the back of the net. The team definitely has the potential to score that many goals in every competition.”

Finishing the regular season with an 8-3-4 conference record, the 2012 campaign marks the third straight year that UCSD has been able to pool eight or more conference wins, and the sixth consecutive year that the Tritons have been left out of the CCAA playoffs. After UCSD Head Coach Jon Pascale took over the reins in 2008, the Tritons have shown marked improvement, but with nine graduating seniors, UCSD will need a strong recruiting class to continue to make an impact in the conference.

“Any time you lose a big group of seniors, it’s tough,” Bucchere said. “We’re looking to rebuild, but you can’t replace them. I think that the underclassmen we have will step into a leadership position, particularly our back line, who will all be back for the next season.”

The Tritons return defensive stalwarts juniors Gavin Lamming, Andrew Keimach and Alec Arsht, along with keepers sophomore Josh Cohen and true freshman Cory McElfresh. UCSD will also have midfielders Cory Wolfrom, Alec Arsht and Taylor Wirth in tow, but will be looking to find players to go to goal.

“Next year we’ve already got a great group of kids coming in,” Bucchere said. “I think this class will be ready to make an immediate impact.”

UCSD will finish ranked ninth in the West Region, three spots shy of qualifying for the NCAA Division II Tournament.

$2515
    $5000