Geisel Opens 24/5 Study Spaces

Geisel Library held its “Ghostly Geisel” midnight celebration for the opening of the new 24/5 (24 hours, 5 days a week) Study Commons on Sunday, Oct. 28. Director of Communications Dolores Davies, Outreach Coordinator for the Arts Library Scott Paulson and volunteers Gayatri Singh and Amy Sepulveda arranged the event, which drew a crowd of 300 students.

Audrey Geisel University librarian Brian Schottlaender was also present at the Halloween celebration, which featured free candy and energy drinks displayed in coffins, as well as the screening of a silent horror film in front of the Study Commons. In addition, the decorated coffins displayed free blue books, pencils and other study necessities. In line with the spooky theme, Schottlaender, wearing a hockey mask, officially opened up the Study Commons by using a chainsaw to cut the chain outside of the room.

During and following the event, many students began to use the new around-the-clock study space.

“At 1:30 a.m, there were 165 people in the study commons, which is pretty great; almost half of the seats were occupied, and it’s just a regular old school week,” Schottlaender said.

The library decided to create the 24/5 study commons after the Center for Library and Instructional Computing Services and the International Relations and Pacific Studies Library were closed last year, due to budget cuts.

After talks with the Associated Students, Schottlaender and his team formed the Study Commons to create a 24-hour study area to make up for past consolidations and shutdowns.

Unlike Geisel’s previous hours, which provided 24-hour access only during Week 10 and finals, Geisel now offers the Study Commons throughout the academic year as well as additional 24-hour study space during Week 10 and finals.

The 24/5 Study Commons completed construction a couple weeks ago, and holds approximately 500 seats, including study tables, study rooms and workspaces. Much of the furniture, computers and workspaces came from CLICS and the consolidated Science and Engineering library; approximately 100 workspaces were already in the area before the Study Commons was created.

Funding for the Study Commons came primarily from the Alice Marquis Living Trust, a $1.1 million donation to Geisel Library and the largest bequest that the library has ever received. The funds provided for renovations needed to open the commons; library funds are now being used to maintain the area. Maintenance costs will include the hiring of security staff, including new CSOs through the campus police department and library security officers, and facilities staff for the Study Commons.

“We feel pretty good…once the word gets out more, we figure attendance will only go up, and we will be watching the numbers,” Schottlaender said.

$2515
    $5000