Triton Crew Hosts Row for the Cure Fundraiser

At the 11th Annual Row for the Cure held at Mission Bay Sunday, Oct. 28, the UCSD women’s crew team competed against UC Irvine, Orange Coast College, University of San Diego and San Diego State, as well as local club teams.

Raising over $10,000, the majority of the funds will go toward supporting uninsured and underinsured breast cancer patients, and the remaining funds will go toward breast cancer research.

While the USD women’s team placed first with a time of 12:34, the UCSD women’s “B” crew team performed above expected with a time of 13:37 for the 4k race. The UCSD “A” boat and “C” boat followed with times of 14:14 and 14:28.

“Our team raced very well today,” UCSD Women’s Crew captain Alyssa Dixon-Word said. “We worked really hard to improve on last year’s times and I think my teammates really brought a new level of intensity to this race. We have been training at a higher level and I think it really showed today.”

UCSD Women’s Head Coach Colin Truex was also impressed with the performance of Coxswain Anna Meng and Dixon-Word in the regatta.

The men’s crew team also rowed against southern California collegiate teams, including UCLA. The Tritons placed first in all three rowing events. The UCSD “A” crew team took first in the men’s Open 8+ with a time of 11:39, while the novice 8+ boat won with a time of 11:53.

The men’s 4+ boat finished first with a time of 12:49 and the UCSD men’s “B” team also finished second in the men’s Open 4+.

Both the UCSD men’s and women’s crew teams will be rowing at the Newport Autumn Rowing Festival this upcoming Sunday, Nov. 4.