Hot Off the Blocks

The women won with a score of 490 to 110, while the men won 256 over 44.

After graduating two of their marquee athletes, Alex Henley — reigning Division II National Champion in the 200 fly — and Matt Herman — reigning Division II National Champion in the 1000 free and 1650 free — the Tritons have proven that their new talent can more than compensate in the pool.

Freshman Naomi Thomas swept the butterfly events. The 18-year-old from Burlingame finished with a time of 2:04.49 on the 200 fly and 56.89 in the 100 fly.

Other notable additions include freshman Hao Chang, finishing with a time of 9:42.75 in the 1000 free. Freshmen Rosa Bebi, Michael Leung, Paul Li and redshirt freshman Dari Watkins all swept their events.

“This is absolutely one of the strongest recruiting classes in [program] history,” UCSD Head Coach Corrie Falcon said. “This is probably the strongest men’s class we’ve ever had, and this year’s female freshman class is probably on par with last year.”

Penn State transfer Erika Rodman also won her debut event in the 1000 free with a time of 10:32.33, while placing second in the 500 free — nine seconds behind UCSD junior captain Anji Shakya. The junior captain also took wins in the 100 and 200 back.

Reigning national champions, senior Emily Adamczyk finished first in the 200 breast (2:20.47) and the 200 IM (2:09.33), while junior captain Nick Korth swept the 100 breast.

“As a whole team, pound for pound, I think we’re better this year than last,” Falcon said. “But we are missing some of our top performers that we’ve had in the past. Overall I think this team definitely has a lot of potential. The momentum is there, and the team is getting better and better and better. We’re getting a higher caliber of athlete, after sending eight athletes to the Olympic trials last week.”

The Tritons return to the pool this Friday, Nov. 2 at noon, where UCSD will face off against the Gauchos at UC Santa Barbara.

“We’re excited, because [UC Santa Barbara’s] a Division I program and it’s always competitive,” Falcon said. “This may be one of the most important meets of the season. We’re just going to train very hard, and we’re not going to worry about.”