UCSD Golf Closes Out Fall Season with Seventh Place Finish

Host CSU Monterey Bay, the 2010 NCAA Division II National Champions, took the tournament title over defending national champions Nova Southeastern. The Otters finished with a total score of 874.

UCSD finished with a total of 908, behind CCAA opponents CSU East Bay, who finished fifth, and Sonoma State, who finished sixth.

The conditions were not ideal, as the first round was postponed for two hours on Monday. “The result wasn’t quite what we were looking for,” UCSD Assistant Coach Keith Okasaki said.

Junior captain Lewis Simon, seeded third for the Tritons, was UCSD’s top finisher, carding a total score of 223. Freshmen Clayton Yamaguchi and Daniel Yang tied for 34th with scores of 229. Sophomore Jay Lim tied for 40th, with an overall score of 232.

“Lewis had a good tournament, but Clayton Yamaguchi came up big,” Okasaki said. “He finished two birdies in the last three holes of the third round that allowed us to move up in front of two schools.”

The Otter Classic closes out the fall season for UCSD. For a squad described by Okasaki as one of the best to be put together by the program for at least the past five years, the Tritons have placed within the top 10 in all of their meets thus far.

“It’s definitely a better showing; we still expect them to do better, know we need to work on stuff, and we should be good to go come February,” Okasaki said.

Their next tournament will not be until February, which is when the Tritons will compete in the CSU Dominguez Hills Invitational.