Tritons Prepare for CCAA Road Trip

Men’s Soccer

After taking two shutout wins last weekend, the UCSD Men’s Soccer team now sits at the top of the CCAA conference standings. The Tritons, at 5-1-2 overall, will be taking a trip up north to Sonoma State this Friday, Oct. 5.

With only one game this weekend — the Humboldt State Men’s Soccer team was discharged from participation in the 2012 season —UCSD Head Coach Jon Pascale will be able to exhaust his players.

The Tritons will need to field their best 11 against the Seawolves, who are tied for the first position in the CCAA North. But Sonoma State—a perennial powerhouse in Division II Men’s Soccer— seems to be in the middle of a slump. The Seawolves’ last win was two weeks ago against Cal Poly Pomona, a 1-0 victory at their home field. Since then, Sonoma State fell to Chico State before settling for two 1-1 ties against CCAA North Division opponents CSU Stanislaus and Chico State.

Conversely, the Tritons have yet to concede a loss in seven games. A win this weekend would put UCSD solidly at the top of the standings, and would make UCSD a very serious contender in the postseason race.

Women’s Soccer

Last weekend, the UCSD Women’s Soccer team saw its first set of blemishes on their formerly untarnished 6-0 record.

Last Friday, Sept. 28, the Tritons drew with CSU Dominguez Hills 1-1. The following Sunday, Sept. 30, UCSD saw a 1-0 overtime loss to CSU San Bernardino.

The Tritons remain at the top of the CCAA South Division standings, but have been overtaken by Sonoma State in the overall standings. Although the Tritons have secured a two-game lead over south division opponents CSU Los Angeles and CSU San Bernardino, this weekend’s matchup will likely serve as a precursor to the CCAA conference championships.

Along with No. 10 CSU Stanislaus and No. 17 UCSD, Sonoma State is currently the only other team in the CCAA to be ranked nationally. With a 9-1 record, the Seawolves are ranked No. 13, four spots above the Tritons, who fell in the rankings after last weekend’s poor performances.

The Tritons are also slated to face Humboldt State. The Lumberjacks fell under a three-game suspension for the same infraction that cancelled the Humboldt Men’s Soccer team’s season.

Humboldt State has only won one of their six games in 2012, and are currently ranked at the bottom of the CCAA standings.  

$2515
    $5000