Council Holds First Meeting; Recieve Triton Outfitters Gear

A.S. Graphic Studios handed out giant novelty to lollipops to members of council. Triton Outfitters distributed T-shirts as prizes to council members who could answer trivia questions about Triton Outfitters.

AVP of Student Services John Weng  introduced council to the heads of TritonTV and KDST and announced prospective changes to programs under the student services umbrella. Weng announced that he’s in negotiations to get TritonTV broadcast on UCSD-TV and UCTV, which would give it a statewide viewership. He also has plans to create an in-house studio for KDST.

“For the first time in five years, since my office was created, my office will have a structured staff,” he said.

Weng revealed the changes coming to A.S. Safe Rides, including an online sign-up system, an iPad to swipe when entering the Safe Ride bus and an email notification system for students when they’ve used all three of their safe ride passes.

He also told council that there will be new condom machines all around the six colleges in addition to the machines already stationed inside the price center.

Council then proceeded to debate the merits of changing the name of the Safe Ride program from “Safe Ride” to “Safe Rides.”

AVP Concert and Events Eric Babajanian pitched both Hullabaloo and the upcoming Bear Gardens which will feature Oktoberfest-style beers.

Campuswide Senator Summer Perez asked council if they would be willing to dress up for the meeting that will take place on Halloween.

VP External Olamide Noah told council that the student regents will be on campus next week to take questions from students and constituents.

Campuswide Senator Brad Segal’s Human Rights Board project has been tabled for eight weeks as he goes to different student organizations to receive feedback about implementation. VP Finance & Resources Bryan Cassella briefed council on their deficit and his plan to combat it. He explained that there are three main reasons for the deficit, under enrollment, overallocation and overspending. Council currently has a deficit of $268,266.76.

“I’ve been really impressed by the way cabinet has been taking care of it, I’ve said here’s the number we have to meet, we have to make cuts, and they’ve been really professional about it,” Cassella said.

Cassella plans to come out with a 10-year plan later this year.

“I just think it’s really important that every A.S. member knows these numbers and knows what’s going on, this is something that we’re all in together, AVP Diversity Affairs Elizabeth Garcia said.

The councilmembers of the week were Noah, Cassella and VP Student Life Cody Marshall.

$2515
    $5000