Council Debates Selection Process

Last Wednesday, March 30, A.S. Council approved new appointments to the open AVP positions based on recommendations by AVP selection committees. AVPs are responsible for overseeing various departments that focus on specific services. While they are not voting members of council, they receive a compensation package of around $3,500.

The selection committees are made of senators and an ex-officio representative that provide recommendations to the executive in charge of the AVP’s office. At the last council meeting, two candidates for AVP positions received recommendations from their respective committees, but were blocked by the respective vice president.

The AVP Local Affairs selection committee unanimously selected 2011-12 Muir Senator Leah Wong for the position.

But when her appointment was put to a vote, an objection was raised and council closed its meeting to the public for the next two hours. After doors re-opened, council put the appointment to a second vote that failed. Council will not be able to appoint someone to the position until the beginning of Fall Quarter 2012.

Vice President of External Affairs Olamide Noah, who ultimately appoints the AVP Local Affairs position, expressed concerns that Wong was not the most qualified candidate.

“I tried my absolute best to highlight the fact that I’m doing everything I’m doing according to the bylaws, and the rules enforced by council,” Noah said. 

AVP College Affairs Leonard Bobbitt said that council acted inappropriately and that it was crucial for someone to be appointed ASAP.

“I don’t doubt the intentions of the VP External, she just doesn’t believe Leah fits her vision but if the office is unfilled, not much can come out of it,” Bobbitt said. “Having these positions during summer is the most important time to have them, because with the students gone there needs to be someone who continues to advocate on their behalf.”

Among other AVP appointments, 2011-12 Campuswide Senator and 2012-13 A.S. presidential candidate Karen Liang applied for a position as AVP of Athletic Relations. 

The selection committee recommended Liang, but Vice President of Student Life Cody Marshall overrode their decision and appointed Revelle College sophomore Sarah Snook for the position instead. 

Leah Wong could not be reached for comment as of press time.

$2515
    $5000