Kholsa Makes First Official Visit to UCSD

Khosla was confirmed as UCSD’s eighth chancellor by the UC Board of Regents at their May 16 meeting in Sacramento. He will take over for Fox, who has been chancellor since 2004.

Executive Vice Chancellor Suresh Subramani, who spoke first at the ceremony, said he was eager to work with Khosla in the coming years.

“The road ahead promises to be exciting,” Subramani said. “We do believe that we’re uniquely poised with respect to catapulting ourselves into our continued trajectory in excellence and we look forward to working with you under your able leadership.”

Fox announced last July that she would step down as Chancellor in the summer of 2012 after eight years on the job. She only had positive remarks about the new chancellor, who will officially take office on Aug. 1, 2012.

“You have a natural tendency to bring out the best of people,” Fox said. “You promote collaboration, innovation and interdisciplinary work and studies which are the building blocks that have established UC San Diego’s tradition of excellence and its reputation.

Fox expressed her relief that someone would be taking over her job next year.

“Chancellor Khosla,” she said. “Boy does that sound good.”

Khosla received a series of gifts that Subramani calls a “Chancellor’s Survival Kit.” He received a pair of rose-colored glasses from Subramani, an oversized parking pass from Chancellor Fox and a UCSD baseball cap and a basket of energy bars from faculty members.

“I don’t need these glasses,” Khosla told the crowd. “Everything here is already rose-colored.”

Outgoing A.S. President Alyssa Wing presented Khosla with a UCSD surfboard to remind him about the university’s reputation as ‘best surf school,’ in addition to our academic achievements.

“I’m sure our surf team will be able to give you some pointers,” Wing said to a chorus of laughter. “On behalf of the students, we welcome you to our campus because here at UC San Diego we work hard and we also play hard.”

Khosla, who has served as Engineering Dean at Carnegie Mellon University since 2004, received a standing ovation when he took the stage and announced his excitement to lead UCSD.

“I have never seen a university that in 50 years, has accomplished so much,” he said. “I never thought I’d go to a public school, but never say never.”  

Though Khosla garnered much support during his visit to UCSD, his appointment as chancellor has not gone without criticism. Khosla and the UC Regents have come under fire by state legislators including Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom for the compensation package that the Chancellor-Designate will receive over the next few years. 

Khosla will receive $411,084 annually — 4.8 percent more than Chancellor Fox received — with a relocation allowance of over $100,000 distributed over the next four years. 

At a press conference following the ceremony, UC Office of the President Media Relations Director Steve Montiel defended Khosla’s salary, saying that the increase in salary was necessary to attract qualified candidates for the job.

“Chancellors make a difference,” Montiel said. “[Salary increases] are crucial to the future of UC campuses.”

Montiel noted that Khosla will rank 52 out of the 61 members of the American Association of Universities in salary amount. He also said that Khosla’s relocation allowance is typical for all UC chancellors.

“Relocation compensation is set at one-quarter of one year’s salary,” Montiel said. “This will be paid over four years.”

Montiel noted that while Khosla’s salary is more than Fox’s, it is significantly less than the salary he had at Carnegie Mellon. He also noted that Khosla will forfeit other benefits he had at Carnegie Mellon such as free tuition for his son Nathan who attends Carnegie Mellon as an undergraduate.

$2515
    $5000