New Council Meets for First Time; Selects AVP Commitees

Former A.S. live blogger John Wang was elected to replace Courtney Hill as the council speaker.

Vice President of External Affairs Olamide Noah reported that the UCSA Congress has tentatively been scheduled for August 30 to September 2.

Associate Vice President of Student Advocacy Bryce Farrington informed the council that the changes to the student conduct code regarding police jurisdiction have been reverted back to their current position. Associate Vice President of Student Services Leigh Mason announced that A.S. Safe Rides would be changing its format next year from giving out three passes per quarter to a single sign-up system.

Arts and Humanities Senator Sean Estelle notified the council that the Public Education Coalition is organizing carpools up to a statewide student union organizing conference.

Arysha Sharifian was unanimously appointed as the executive director of the Student Organized Voter Accessed Committee. He told the council that currently four of UCSD’s colleges are in a different precinct than the rest of the campus. In response SOVAC is currently making an effort to redraw precinct maps and provide each college with its own polling place.

Campus-wide Senator Brad Segal gave a presentation to the council on the possibility of creating an A.S. Human Rights Board. His hope is for A.S. to create an avenue for students and organizations that engage in social issues and advocacy of global justice to collaborate together. He added that he was inspired by UCSB and the annual Human Rights Week that they hold, and wants for UCSD to be able to do something similar.

Associate Vice President of Academics Samuel Chang expressed that he would like A.S. to allocate more funding for the Academic Affairs office in the future so that they could continue to grant student funds, educate the student body and link students and professors.

“Academic affairs has a lot of potential and I think that this council should continue to let it grow,” Chang said.

Council passed its first piece of legislation unanimously, changing the bylaws to specify that the vice president of external affairs would chair the Legislative Committee.

Senators were randomly selected in front of the council for the associate vice president selection committees. This was done to ensure transparency of the entire process. The selection continues next week with meetings and interviews for the candidates.

$2515
    $5000